Sunday, January 17, 2010

"AI" in Atlanta, "Pants On The Ground"

Hello,

Here finally is my review of the Atlanta "American Idol" auditions. Again this mostly this is only going to be a review of the good auditions with my Top 5 list afterwards.

Guest judge was Randy Jackson's sister, at least in complete lack of judging ability, Ms. Mary J Blige. Blige is a so-called music legend. I would disagree, can you even name one song she sings? 25 people qualified for Hollywood from Atlanta. Previous contestants include Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia Barrino and Clay Aiken. (Let's play the Sesame Street game, which of these is not like the others.) Only 11 of the 25 contestants who made it to Hollywood were shown in the 90 minute show. I wish we could see more of the good performances and less of the Andrew Fenlon, Norberto Guerrero and Jesse Hamilton auditions. Here goes:

1) Keia Johnson who sang the as she called it "the ' Titantic' song". That obviously is Celine Dion's "I Know That My Heart Will Go On". Johnson has a big, powerful voice but I was still underwhelmed by her performance. She did receive 4 yeses from the judges. 4/5

2) Miriam Lemouni: She sang Miley Cyrus' "The Climb". Why? I thought she was aiight and I think completely forgettable. 4/5

3) Noel Reese sang Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing". Why? Why do these singers continue trying to sing Whitney Houston songs. Very few people can sing her songs well, so for most of you please don't try her songs. The bad thing about singers like Reese is she's so forgettable. I forgot her since watching this episode yesterday morning. I had to go to youtube.com to be reminded of exactly who she is. She has a nice voice and did a good version of that song. However she is only 16 years old, I think she's going to fade once she gets to Hollywood. She's also in desperate need of a stylist. 4/5

4) Tisha Holland -18- Hostess sang Christina Aguilera's "Impossible". Another song by a big voiced singer. Another forgettable, probably way too young singer. Kara called her the best we've seen all day. Kara's approval, there's a kiss of death for any contestant. 4/5

5) Jermaine Sellers- 26- church singer. Finally a potential superstar. I love his take on Joan Osborne's "One of Us". I really love him and think he's awesome. He's my favorite singer so far. (That moves Luke Shaffer to #2 overall.) I like in the interview room how he said, "now she's going to call the whole neighborhood" talking about his Mom. Very funny and very touching. I look forward to seeing him more in Hollywood. 5/5

6) Vanessa Wolfe sang Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel", a song none of the judges or myself are obviously familiar with. I got sick of her back story pretty quickly though. "AI" we get it you think she's a hick. The country girl is going to get eaten alive in Hollywood. (Go to mjsbigblog.com and you might be able to find out if that has happened. I've been ignoring the rumor sites so far this season.) I did like how she was excited by the prospect of taking an airplane. She said, "I'm going to ride on a airoplane". Yes, she said "airoplane". 3/5

7) Holly Harden- 20- the guitar girl sang Loretta Lynn's "You Ain't Woman Enough To Take My Man". Points for going old school on a great old time country song. 4/5

8) Mallorie Haley, Winner, South Dakota. She's a 20 year old babe and definitely not forgettable. Points for taking on the amazing Janis Joplin song and singing it well. Hopefully she won't be this season's Casey Carlson. The babe who folds once she gets in front of a crowd. 5/5



9) Antonio Wheeler, another singer I loved. Ski bo ski made me laugh repeatedly, he's kind of like Borat he gets into character and stays that way the whole way through. I didn't think he was as good of a singer as the judges did. But I like him and think he will bring some much needed spice to Hollywood Week. It's doubtful if he'll get past that. 4/5

10) Carmen Turner, the more attractive and better singer of the BFF pair. Another singer I don't think will last long in Hollywood. I think she did a fairly good version of Kelly Clarkson's "Where Is Your Heart". 3.5/5

11) Brian Walker -25- policeman from Tennessee. I thought he was a bit of a reach to make it to Hollywood as well. His take on the Carpenter's "Superstar" was okay. Randy liked him though, saying "the singing policeman is hot". 3.5/5

12) General Larry Platt -62- retired military was my third favorite contestant of the night. He sang his own original song and the instant classic, "Pants on the Ground". (This video has 832,000 views on youtube.com so far.) Obviously he's too old to move on to Hollywood, but you can bet we will see him on the season finale. He's also going to be on the view tomorrow. I loved how Ryan asked him if that was an original, of course Ryan. I love that song and if it is released as a single, I would definitely buy it. Much respect for being retired military as well as being a civil rights stalwart in the center of the Civil Rights battleground. 5/5



My top five from Atlanta:

1) Jermaine Sellers singing Joan Osborne's "One of Us".
2) Mallorie Haley singing Janis Joplin's "Piece Of My Heart".
3) General Larry Platt singing his original and very catchy "Pants On The Ground".
4) Antonio Wheeler, Ski Bo Ski, sang Mr. Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". Marvin Gaye was the man wasn't he?
5)Carmen Turner singing Kelly Clarkson's "Where Is Your Heart". She was the best of the rest for me. She probably wouldn't have made my Top 7 or 8 in Boston.

themusicaddict

1 comment:

Thaddeus said...

Sweetie, Are you serious about Mary J Blige?
You obviously need to do your research before you talk shit!
Mary has the most successful R&B song of all times (15 WEEKS AT #1)...Her songs are used in movies, commercials, sampled, covered, & sung on american Idol.
She's done 780,000 1st week album sales...THE BEST FOR A FEMALE R&B ARTIST!
Songs:
Real Love
Im going down
Family Affair
Missing you
Be without you
No More Drama
Take Me As I Am
...This is just to name a few.

Songs:

Favorites