Friday, June 24, 2011

NBA Draft, "Bad Teacher"

Hello,

I watched the new Cameron Diaz movie, "Bad Teacher", this early afternoon, I love having 3 day weekends! It's a little more nasty than I would usually watch. But it was either that or "Cars 2" and I have a feeling I'll be seeing "Cars 2" with my kids next weekend. Anyway "Bad Teacher" was about as mediocre as I expected. It's not the worst movie ever, it's not even the worst movie this month. It truly has some genuine funny lines in it. (For instance, "Hey Twilight".) I left the theatre thinking at least it's better than "Green Lantern".

It was a lot better than the last Cameron Diaz movie I saw, the horrendously stupid "Green Hornet". At least the characters in "Bad Teacher" are believable. Two things I didn't like about the movie why did they make Justin Timberlake play such a wussy character? Timberlake has proven that he can act, he's simply amazing as Sean Parker in "The Social Network". And Cameron Diaz is getting to old to play the babe in a movie. Then again, I never understood why people thought she was a babe in the first place. A perfectly fine actress, Cameron it's time to start stretching. It's hard to believe for how famous she is and how many movies she's been in, how few good movies she's been in. I'm not a big fan of "There's Something About Mary". That's probably her most famous film and after that, not a whole lot.

The NBA Draft was yesterday. I can't say that I'm jumping up and down happy about the Jazz's draft. Of course, it will be a few years before we know how good of a draft it was. When I see European players I'm a little concerned, they seem to be injury prone. Look how many games Andrei Kirlenko and Mehmet Okur have missed the last couple of years. I hope Enes Kanter isn't the same as them, I hope he's more the Dirk Nowitski type. Then at # 12 the Jazz picked Alec Burks. I'm more than a little concerned when ESPN announcer Jay Bilas says that Burks can't shoot or defend. Then what exactly can he do? Oh great.

I'm glad that the Jazz ended up not drafting Jimmer Fredette. Some experts, for instance ESPN's Ric Bucher, predict he'll be better than Kemba Walker. Also Dick Vitale tweeted that he thinks Fredette will be the Rookie of the Year. Going to Sacramento I don't know how good that will be for him. If he has to be one of the main guys, especially for such an epically bad team, things will be rough for him. He would be better for a team like the Miami Heat where he would be the third or fourth option. He'd be a great shooter to open up the floor for LBJ and Dwayne Wade. If Jimmer is hitting the outside shot, who would you guard? I'll be perfectly fine if I'm completely wrong about Jimmer. I'd like to see him have a good career. I just don't know if that is possible for him in Sacramento.

Kyrie Irving went #1 to Cleveland. I wonder how good of a move that is for the Cavaliers. Duke players have been terrible NBA players. The best one probably is Grant Hill, but how many games did he miss in his career. Most Dukies flame out in two or three years. Who was the idiot team that drafted Kyle Singler? Oh it was the Pistons, that explains a lot about them. I'd be very surprised if he plays 3 full seasons in the NBA.

The draft pick that surprised me the most, other than anyone picking Singler, is that SDSU's Kawhi Leonard fell all the way to #15. Really? I'd rather the Jazz have picked him at #12 than pick Burks. Honestly I know very little about Burks. But I did see quite a few games that Leonard played. Granted not much of an outside shot. But he's an athletic player that does well in wide open offense. Maybe for that reason he might not have been as good for the Jazz as another team. Although he ended up in San Antonio, which really is known for a very structured offense.

On the Dan Patrick show, Charles Barkley predicted that there would be no NBA season this upcoming year. Well if that happened, that would completely kill the momentum the NBA has generated by their amazing postseason. I think both the NBA and NFL will be surprised at how little they will be missed once they games are missed. The long either league is gone, the less we will miss them. I just can't get over the fact that the NFL players and owners can't come to an agreement in how to share 9.3 BILLION Dollars.

Great songs:

Lifehouse's "Breathing":



I know that I feature the same Lauryn Hill songs over and over. However every time I hear a song off of "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill", I'm reminded of how great that CD is.

This is "I Used To Love Him", a song with some amazing lyrics. Hill has that amazing voice and sings all of her songs with so much feeling.



Just to mix it up a bit with Lauryn Hill a bit, here is the best (the only?) good Fugees song:



Thanks to Carrie Underwood reminding me of this song when she picked it for Lauren Alaina. I love everything about this song. I love how Tillis sings it, love the literary lyrics and the great music. This is Pam Tillis' excellent "Maybe It Was Memphis":



Daughtry's "What I Meant To Say":



The Black Crowes "Hard To Handle":



The Clash "Train In Vain":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites