Thursday, June 23, 2011

NBA Draft, Glen Campbell

Hello,

Yesterday it was announced that Glen Campbell has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. The 75 year old singer is working on his final CD "Ghost On The Canvas" now and will go on one final tour following the release of the CD. I find the following line from rs.com to be very sad, "and will make the most of his time while his memory is largely intact by recording a final album and heading out on a farewell tour." (Thanks to rs.com.)

Alzheimer's is a ruthless disease. (If I could choose, obviously this wouldn't be the way I would die. I want to be like Kenny Rogers' "Gambler" and die in my sleep.) At least cancer can be beat some of the time, especially with early detection. But Alzheimer's disease is nearly unbeatable. Once it has it's hooks in you it's all over. I don't even know how much you can lessen the effects of this vicious disease. Thankfully for him and us he was able to live 75 relatively good years. It's also good that he can leave with a final album and tour. Let's hope that and his earlier hits will be his legacy, not this insidious disease. Many people would call Glen Campbell classic country music. Me, I call his music the music I grew up with. Here are some of his most famous songs.

This is his most famous song, "Rhinestone Cowboy":



One of the most poignant songs of all-time, "Wichita Lineman":



Another one of his many great songs, "Galveston":



"By The Time I Get To Phoenix":



"Southern Nights":



Tonight at 7:00pm EST is the NBA Draft. I keep on checking at espn.com expecting to see trades that have been made or are being worked on. I expect at least one or two major trades to happen today. Many people are convinced that the woeful Cavaliers are going to take Kyrie Irving at #1. Due to injury Irving has played all of 11 college basketball games. That doesn't seem like enough games to base such a huge decision on. The Cavs are desperately trying to regain mediocrity after LBJ went to Miami. Dan Gilbert, their owner, needs to learn to not talk so much.

Nobody really knows what Minnesota is going to do at #2. After all they Minnesota, they rarely ever seem to know what they are doing. Reports are circulating that they are going to fine Kurt Rambis. Why now? If they are going to fine her, why didn't they do it months ago? If I were Minnesota I would pick Derrick Williams. He's one of the most explosive players in college basketball in this draft. I also expect him to contribute nearly right away.

At #3 the Jazz are picking. The Jazz have both the #3 and the #12 pick of the first round. The Jazz love to trade first round picks, I expect the Jazz to trade at least one of these picks. Unless someone else drafts Jimmer Fredette before #12, I see the Jazz drafting him at that point. I think that might be more of a business decision than a basketball decision though. The Jazz already have a Jimmer like player in Gordon Hayward, which was a reach at #9 in last year's draft. So why do they need another one? They don't.

Jimmer Fredette highlights from youtube.com. Unfortunately this is set to an Eminem song, so the predictably the language is terrible in a couple of places:



Bill Simmons says he can't live in a world where Jimmer Fredette doesn't play for the Jazz. I agree Bill, but I mean it a different way than you do. I'm hoping a miracle happens and that Derrick Williams drops to #3 or that the Jazz trade to get him. I could see me happily cheering for him for years.

After an excellent playoffs, the best one in several years, I think that tonight will be a very interesting draft. Due to the greed and stupidity of players and owners in all likelihood there will be a lockout on July 1st. And to think Frank McCourt has nothing to do with the NBA. Actually have the "genuis's" behind "The Killing" taken over the NBA? You know setting us up for an exciting finale then all of a sudden saying "just kidding". And then we have to wait several more months before we get a new season?

At this point, Cleveland then has the #4 pick. By this point I expect at least one trade to already have happened which will throw a lot of things to be up in the air by that point.

Other great songs for your listening pleasure:

Gene Loves Jezebel's "Jealous":



Although it might seem like it, I don't get life advice from songs I hear. Sometimes a song says something that I've been thinking much better than I can say it. For instance, the "Rent" song that so eloquently states my current dating philosphy or Kenny Rogers "The Gambler" that tells about what I think is the best way to die. The following song has another statement that I like and fits me. "If you don't expect too much from me you might not be let down." What can I say, it is what it is.



One of my favorite 80's songs, Boom Crash Opera's "Onion Skin":



This is for my brother, who I remember loved this song back in the day. Yet another one of the many one hit wonders that were strewn across the 80's:



For the original "I Don't Wanna Fall In Love" video embedding has been disabled by request. I hate greedy record companies. Like people are going to take this video and make a lot of money off of it. I blame the record companies for a lot of the one hit wonders

One more classic 80's song I stumbled across, one of the sexiest songs ever. Thankfully embedding this video wasn't disabled by request. The System's "Don't Disturb This Groove":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites