Tuesday, June 21, 2011

NFL Greedout Update, Frank McCourt Please Go Away, "Falling Skies", "Rent"

Hello,

Today is the 98th day in the NFL owner's Greed Out (some people know it as the lockout). NFL owners are currently meeting in Rosemont, Illinois. They are trying to decide how to split up $9.3 billion dollars! I know what you are thinking, that can't be too hard, can it? Well in this world where greed rules, yes it seems to be very hard. I love the NFL as much as the next guy, but they can extend the lockout much longer before I'll be begging the NFL to come back.

I'm in no need for the NFL to come back any time soon. People will flock to college football, baseball etc. Or if they are really desperate, there are always books! I'm a Cowboys fan. With Jerry Jones as the owner and Tony Romo as the alleged quarterback I don't have high hopes. I think Jerry Jones could learn a lot on how to run a team from Mark Cuban. I know the Cowboys have won 3 Super Bowls under Jerry Jones, but how long has it been since they won the last one? Rhetorical question.

Here's your unintentional comedy clip of the day, these guys seem to not be in on the joke:

Unfortunately, actually fortunately, this video's embedding is disabled by request. You are going to have to go to this youtube.com link to watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NdfSeOLA0

There's nothing good about this video or song. Wow, it doesn't get much worse than this. If I didn't know better, I'd swear this video is a parody. Color Me Badd, a poor man's Debarge. This is a video that needs to appear on some kind of Mystery Science 3000 like show to get the mocking it fully deserves.

Other unintentionally funny videos, this is El Debarge's "Who's Johnny". A bad video, but I like both the song and the movie it comes from "Short Circuit".



Sticking with El Debarge, if you are going through a break up this isn't a song for you:



Now on to the continuing Frank McCourt disaster. First of all this is what ESPNLA.com columnist Tony Jackson has to say about McCourt's ownership of the Dodgers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/columns/story?id=6686247

I agree with about 95% of what Jackson has to say. For those who don't know Commissioner Bud Selig and MLB have nixed the proposed FOX television contract that was central to Jamie and Frank McCourt's divorce decree. That nullifies the McCourt divorce settlement, which means that the McCourts need to backtrack a bit. While I agree with Bud Selig's decision, the Dodgers need to backtrack a bit as well. This is the second Dodgers season affected by the McCourt divorce drama.

However when the dust clears this will be a good thing for the Dodgers. ESPN sources say that Frank McCourt almost has no chance of meeting the Dodgers June 30th payroll. That would lead to MLB covering the payroll and probably taking over the Dodgers. MLB and Bud Selig then probably would force Frank McCourt to sell the Dodgers.

From my perspective it seems Frank McCourt's main (only?) motivation is his bid to continue to own the team indefinitely. From some of his short sighted decisions it seems he also has a complete disregard for the future of the Dodgers. I understand divorce can screw people up and that the McCourt's divorce has gone far too long. In fact, I think I've thought more about the McCourt's divorce than my own.

In the statement MLB released about this, these are some of the highlights: Referring to the Fox deal rejected by MLB: this deal "would have the effect of mortgaging the future of the franchise to the long term detriment of the club and its fans".

Also Bud Selig said, "It is my conclusion that this proposed transaction with FOX would not be in the best interest of the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise, the game of Baseball and the million of loyal fans of this historic club."

Meanwhile as Rome burns, the Dodgers play on the field continues to be less than mediocre. As Jackson pointed out Clayton Kershaw pitched a brilliant game for the Dodgers yesterday. Too bad he can't pitch everyday. The Dodgers need to have their ownership problem resolved as soon as possible. They also need to go out and get a big bat and at least one more starting pitcher to be considered a legitimate threat to make the playoffs. Unfortunately the longer the McCourt mess goes on, the longer the on field success of the team will continue to flounder.

Frank for the love of the Dodgers and to stop tarnishing your legacy please put the Dodgers up for sale asap. The best case scenario for you Frank is that you are quickly forgotten. Frank sell the Dodgers without MLB pressure, if people think of you, hopefully they'll remember is that you sold the Dodgers honorably. I know your team has had some success with you as the owner, but do you think anyone is going to remember that? I barely remember it now. I don't expect real success until your ownership is over either. Frank it's time to sell the Dodgers.

Now on to "Falling Skies", I was able to see the two hour premiere last night. I have to admit I'm very impressed. I thought the role of Tom Mason would be a stretch for Noah Wyle, but I'm wrong. He plays the former history teacher and current resistance leader with admirable restraint. Some people would have played this role with Vin Diesel overacting. Within seconds of seeing Wyle's character, I immediately hoped for the best for him and his family. I'm also wondering how long until he hooks up with Dr. Anne Glass (Moon Bloodgood), if I were him I would make it sooner rather than later. I also like Mason's shout out to the 2004 Red Sox.

(In fact it reminded me of this show called "The Killing". That started out so great and I really loved the main character Sarah Linden. That was such a great show, whatever happened to "The Killing". All I remember is I watched the first 12 episodes and then Will Smith came and flashed something in my eyes. Allegedly there's a thirteenth episode, but I don't remember any thing from it.)

I've figured out one of the secrets of "Falling Skies". I know what happens to the harness kids. I wish I could claim I came up with this all on my own. Thanks to previews of future episodes shown where it's noticed that the skitters seem human like. Combine that with the camp teacher talking to Tom Mason about why the skitters have 6 legs and the mechs have two legs? Combine those two hints with ew.com's Darren Franich's recap of the first two episodes of this show. Franich writes: "My Even-More-Ridiculously Early Wager for a Season-Ending Twist: The Skitters aren't allied with the Mechs; they're slaves, and they've been harnessed just like the human children."

Those three things together has led me to believe that the harness takes over the kids and the kids slowly turn into skitters. Is that why the mechs visited Earth as they are running out of slaves? Have they already harvested Earth humans to be skitters? Is that why they seem so human like? That could be an explanation why there are differences between the mechs and the skitters. That's a sign of great fiction, it makes you think of all the delicious possibilities.

I also give a big thumbs up to the official website: fallingskies.com. It gives more background about the show, including journal entries from Tom Mason.

More music: In honor of my going and seeing "Rent" on Saturday, here's some of my favorite songs from that musical. This is "La Vie Boheme". Warning the following videos deal with very mature adult themes, not for those with prejudices or are faint of heart.



The above song contains some of my favorite lyrics of all-time and also my current dating strategy:

MIMI
Excuse Me - Did I Do Something Wrong?
I Get Invited - Then Ignored - All Night Long

ROGER
I've Been Trying - I'm Not Lying
No One's Perfect, I've Got Baggage

MIMI
Life's Too Short - Babe - Time Is Flying
I'm Looking For Baggage That Goes
With Mine

ROGER
I Should Tell You--

MIMI
I've Got Baggage Too

ROGER
I Should Tell You--

BOTH
Baggage - Wine--

The not so subtle "Light My Candle":



The title song from "Rent":



One of the many amazing songs from "Rent" and the first song in the movie, "Seasons of Change":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites