Tuesday, June 14, 2011

KSL says "No" to "The Playboy Club", Flag Day, Quick reviews (Updated 4/8/13)



Hello,

Today is Flag Day, fly your American flags proudly. I'm so grateful for being able to live in this great country. Thanks again to all the veterans and their families for keeping us free.

It was announced yesterday that NBC Salt Lake City affiliate KSL won't be showing "The Playboy Club" when the new season starts. KSL is owned by the LDS Church, which is opposed to the lifestyle Playboy espouses. On moral grounds, and as a member of the LDS Church, I completely agree with KSL's decision. Thank you KSL for making a stand and for putting one's beliefs above money. Some people have referred to this as censorship. Censorship would be completely blocking people from seeing this show. KSL has stated they will help another local channel show this. This is KSL making what they feel is a moral stand. And I completely agree.

Many people have used this as a chance to rip on the LDS Church. They've pointed out things they find inconsistent with this specific stance. However like any other religion the LDS Church is made of people and people have many weaknesses. So please criticize KSL's decision or me all you want, but don't rip on the LDS Church or it's members.

(Update April 8th, 2013: After two years someone looked at this blog entry. I saw the title and I noticed that I had called it "The Playoff Club" instead of "The Playboy Club". I knew that would bug me, so I decided to fix it. The funny thing about this matter is when "The Playboy Club" debuted it received terrible reviews. Many people hated it and it was quickly off the air, which had become a financial decision with the brutal reviews.)

U2's new CD, uh I mean the "Turn Off The Dark" Broadway soundtrack, was released today. "Turn Off The Dark" is the Spider-Man play that has had all sorts of problems and delays. I can't comment on the actual play itself, all I can comment on is the soundtrack. It's quite simple whether you will like the music or not. Ask yourself this question. Are you a U2 fan? If the answer is yes, you'll like this music. If the answer is no, then don't waste your time listening to it. I'm a big U2 fan, my 6th favorite band, thus I'm enjoying it.

I was surprised there are only 14 songs on "Turn Off The Dark". Most Broadway soundtracks have at least 25 songs. "Sunset Boulevard" has 32 songs and "Les Miserables" has 45 songs. I think eventually "Turn Off The Dark" will be considered all-time great Broadway soundtracks.

Last night was my first time watching "Rizzoli & Isles" and it's an okay show. Although I'm very glad to see the gorgeous Angie Harmon back on TV. IMHO, she has the sexiest voice on any TV show now.

I also watched the first two episodes of "4th and Forever". It's about the football program at Long Beach Polytechnic High School (Cal Poly). They are the high school that has sent the most players to the NFL. Many people are calling this show similar to "Friday Night Lights", I agree with that to a point. One big difference is when the cameras leave Cal Poly, the students of Cal Poly remain behind. While it may be a TV show to us, this is their life. Due to that there's a lot more urgency and desperation for these football players.

Happy Birthday to Don Newcombe. From his wikipedia.org page: "Newcombe is the only baseball player to have won the Rookie of the Year, Most Valuable Player and Cy Young awards in his career. In 1949, he became the first black pitcher to start a World Series game. In 1955, Newcombe was the first black pitcher to win twenty games in one season.[1] In 1956, he was the first pitcher to win the National League MVP and the Cy Young Award in the same season."

Happy 85th birthday Don. Although he played for many teams, when I think of him I think of his Dodger years. One of the all-time great Dodgers. He currently works with the Dodgers now, hopefully his influence will rub off on everyone else in the organization. A team that's in desperate need of his positive influence.

Day 91 of the NFL Lockout, negotiations are continuing. It seems that both sides are in "deal making mode". No indication on which side is cracking, maybe it's both sides that are cracking. Sarcasm alert: I know how hard it is to share 9.3 billion dollars annually. If an agreement could be reached soon, there would be no games lost. The season could go ahead like normal.

Yesterday news came out that 7 teams were furloughing their employees or making other cuts. According to espn.com: "Miami, Buffalo, the New York Jets, Kansas City, Detroit, Tampa Bay and Arizona are the teams known to have slashed payroll". I wanted to include the guilty teams here to shame them. I don't feel sorry for the millionaires or the billionaires in this labor nonsense. But the fact that these billionaires are cutting payroll to these employees to save relatively a few dollars is ridiculous.

Atlanta and San Francisco refused to respond to the AP on this question, citing privacy issues. In other words they are also making cuts as well.

Also it's official "The Killing" is coming back for a second season. A few weeks ago I would have been excited with that news. However with the sliding quality of the show I'm meh. I will probably watch it next season, but it won't be appointment television. Unlike true AMC classics like "Walking Dead" and "Mad Men", I will do what I need to watch those. R.I.P. "Rubicon".

The Seekers "Red Rubber Ball":



A lesser known Pat Benatar song, but I think this is my favorite of hers:



Frida's "I Know There's Something Going On":



Nena's "99 Luftballoons":



Speaking of songs from musicals, this is from "Chess". It's Murray Head's "One Night In Bangkok":



Also from "Chess", this is a song I always thought of as a Whitney Houston song. It's on her 1987 CD "Whitney".



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites