Friday, June 3, 2011

Is Dirk Nowitski showing he's the man?, Where is Bill Simmons?, "X-Men" and "Franklin and Bash"

Hello,

One of my favorite writers in sports is ESPN.com's Bill Simmons. However I'm wondering if he's on vacation? He has had some pod casts but I miss his writing about NBA basketball. He use to release a new article every Friday, but no new article today from him. After two very intense and hard fought games I'd love to read his opinion. He knows what he's talking about, is very funny and loves basketball. His pod casts are okay, but I prefer to have something to read. It takes a lot less time and I can skip less interesting parts.

I'm 100% behind the Miami Heat and cheering for them to win their second NBA championship. But with that being said I've got to give credit where credit is due. Dirk Nowitski started out last nights game slow, but threw the Mavericks on his shoulders at the end of the game. He scored Dallas's last 9 points as Miami fell apart. Again I'm not a Mavs fan, but they hit 9 of their last 10 shots. That's pretty amazing. I'm trying to forget that the Heat only hit 1 of their last 10 shots, that was the extremely big 3 pointer by Mario Chalmers.

Dwayne Wade was absolutely sensational last night, he had some of the most incredible dunks that I've ever seen. He put on an offensive show. When he hit that three pointer from the corner, the basket that gave the Heat the 15 point lead, I thought that was the dagger. Looking back now it indeed was the dagger, but unfortunately it was a dagger to the Heat. They pretty much fell apart after that. They thought they had the game in the bag, to be honest so did I. However instead of stepping on the Mavericks throats, they coasted the rest of the game.

Games 3,4 and 5 are going to be in Dallas. With Dallas winning Thursday night, we have ourselves a series. This is shaping up to be an classic NBA Finals. This has been an amazing playoff run, this is the first NBA playoffs I've got caught up in several years. It's because there's no dominant team, very exciting games and the much hated Lakers were swept.

I just have one request, can the JJ Berea love train please come to a halt. JJ is 3 for 15 in the first two games of this series. How did he get such an outsize reputation for how little he does?

I still think that Miami is going to win this series, I'd guess in 6 games. Although having the next three games in Dallas is a nice twist. Those games are going to be intense. Hold on tight and hold on for what appears to be an exciting ride.

A couple of more notes. The officiating in this NBA playoffs has been outstanding. Sure they've missed a call or two, but overall they've done an incredible job. Also I've enjoyed Jeff Van Gundy's commentary during the games. He's very funny and has common sense, which is pretty rare in sports announcers. He has a very light hearted approach to the game. That's really needed. This is basketball, not brain surgery. He also actually has opinions and shares them. Many times he has said what I was thinking. I also like Mark Jackson and Mike Breen, they serve as the straight men to Van Gundy. Breen and Jackson were trying to show off their basketball smarts by saying the various reasons they'd want LeBron James. Then Van Gundy, Mr. Common Sense, said he'd want to have James on his team because he's the best player in the game. He didn't try to outsmart himself or follow some corporate America script, he actually shared his opinion. I wonder if he's available to judge "American Idol"?

I saw "X Men: First Class" today. This is actually a prequel to the 3 "X-Men" movies that have been released already. One of my all-time favorites babes, January Jones, is in this movie. She plays a relatively minor role, which is a shame. She walks around half-dressed in the movie. I'm not sure why, other than guys enjoy seeing scantily clad hotties. (For those of you wondering yes this was a much better movie than Jones last movie, "Unknown". She also did a much better job in "X-Men".) Overall the movie just didn't do much for me. I found myself battling sleep during it. I was hoping for a little more. I was very surprised that Kevin Bacon is in the movie. I also enjoyed a surprise cameo very much. Also thank goodness this wasn't one of those ridiculous 3D movies.

Also On Demand tonight I watched the first of the "X-Man" movies that was made, however in the series it's the second chronologically. Anyway seeing the prequel earlier in the day made seeing the 2000 "X-Men" more enjoyable. A very solid cast with Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, the gorgeous Halle Berry, Rebecca Romijin-Stamos and Hugh Jackman.

However I'm sorry but the villain Toad is one of the dumbest super villains of all-time. What's his mutant ability? He has a super long tongue. Really, they couldn't have come up with a better character or a better mutant ability than that?

After a fair amount of hype for a cable show not on AMC, last night was the series premiere of "Franklin and Bash". Zack from "Saved By The Bell" has grown up, I didn't even recognize him. I was looking for a light and fluffy show that would make me laugh this summer. Maybe a show that could partially take the place of "Mad Men". Unfortunately "Mad Men" isn't going to be on until January. Usually a series first show is the best. It's their first impression that can make or break a show. If this is the best they can do this show will quickly go away. Honestly I didn't expect great stories or a lot of intelligence. I'm glad I didn't as anything close to those standards weren't displayed.

The "stories" just serve as vehicles for Franklin and Bash to make jokes and employ wild antics. Also some of the words that were used were base and immature. Do we really need to hear slang for male and female genitalia on TV? No, it just adds an even more crude element to this show. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. If this show survives it's first season I highly doubt we'll see a second season. I miss "Mad Men", Don Draper please come back!

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites