Friday, July 22, 2011

Don't You "Dare!", NFL CBA drags on, "I Don't Believe In Love"

Hello,

I've been divorced over a year and I'm not really interested in dating at this time. For me any downside heavily outweighs the upside. Of course, I think a lot of that will go away when I meet someone who does for me what this song is about:



Currently this mostly is how I'm feeling about love, relationships and dating. It's frightening how close this song feels how I feel about dating right now and also this song kicks ass!



Thanks to my friends at Spotify I've been revisiting some of those CD's that are considered 80's classics. These are CDs that I loved back in the day or CDs listed on Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 80's CDs. On Rolling Stone's Top 100 list, the Human League's "Dare!" is listed at #78, which I feel is a very generous rating. Especially with it higher than such great 80's CDs as George Michael's "Faith", John Mellencamp's "Scarecrow" and Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever".

The Human League's "Dare!" would never be on my Top 100 80's CDs and it certainly isn't a classic. I love much of the 80's synth driven music. But the synth driven music on "Dare!" is very similar to the synth driven music that haunts most 80's movies. (Perhaps the best example of this is the hilarious "Better Off Dead". Great movie, terrible music.) "Dare!" wasn't even a record I owned back in the day and have no interest to own now. There are 10 songs on this CD featuring one decent song and one certifiable classic. The other 8 songs range from the horrid "I Am The Law" to a few songs that are interesting and have potential. But a classic, a decent song, a few interesting ideas and some crap does not a classic make. Here are the two best songs from this CD.

This song isn't as good as I remember. "Love Action (I Believe In Love)"



Now here's a true classic: "Don't You Want Me"



Interestingly the two good songs are the 9th and 10th songs on the CD. Back in 1981, if I would have bought this, I would have bought it on a record. (CDs didn't really go mainstream until the mid to late 80's.) I would have listened to the first side of the record for a few minutes before I decided I wasn't interested. I wouldn't have heard the two good songs if it was just the record.

The NFL Lockout continues to drag on. (The only thing that has dragged needlessly on longer is the Rosie Larson murder on "The Killing".) One good thing about the CBA the way it is now is that there would be 10 years of labor peace. We wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense until 2021. Although some people in the NFLPA camp now are wanting an option to opt out after 7 years. But if an opt out is taken there would be a penalty.

I love how the NFL voted on accepting the new CBA. Then they seemingly intentionally put the pressure on the players. That's fine but it seems the NFL tried to sneak in a couple of things that hadn't been discussed. Rightfully the NFLPA said now we are going to look at this before we vote on it. The NFLPA also has to recertify it's union, which they want to not rush.

Things will probably resolve themselves quickly, although it would crack me up if they didn't. If things work out quickly both training camps and free agency will begin Wednesday. ESPN's Adam Schefter is saying that may be the "busiest" day in league history. It should be frenetic, crazy and fun.

One side effect of the NFL Lockout is the cancellation of August 7th's Hall of Fame game. Although I think that isn't such a bad thing, because only the most hardcore fan even watch that game. I love football, but I don't know if I've ever watched a minute of the Hall of Fame game. I typically don't start watching the NFL until the regular season.

As this drama goes into it's 129th day of the NFL Lockout, the NBA's lockout stays safely in the background. The NFL's lockout is expected to be easy compared to how the NBA Lockout could be. Speaking of which I love all these NBA players talking about going and playing internationally for a fraction of what they would make in the NBA. Deron Williams might go overseas, it seems like he's thought it out. He would make less than 1/3rd of what he would make playing for New Jersey.

However Kobe is not going overseas, who does he think he's kidding? He already has so many miles on his body and what would winning an international league title mean to him. I doubt it would mean much. I believe he'd much rather have another NBA Title. I expect he realizes playing internationally would hurt his NBA title chances. Yes, I understand Kobe's Dad played internationally, but he was a much less talented player than Kobe.

We all see what this is, this is a negotiating tactic by the NBA players to pressure the NBA. However it seems the NBA owners are invested in the lockout until the players make huge concessions. Playing internationally with an opt out clause doesn't scare NBA owners.

Dwight Howard, who must have the lowest self-esteem in the NBA, says he's considering he might go play basketball internationally. I hope he does, I'm sick of him being in the news all the time. He always seems to be whining about something. He wants respect and people's love, but whining is not the way to get either. Like Allen Iverson I'd love for him to go into the witness protection program i.e. go and play in Turkey. Of course, now Allen Iverson would be lucky for anyone to pay him to play basketball.

Other great songs:

What a great song, but what a horrendous performance. They look like are mocking 80's musicians but they are being serious. This is an example of unintentional comedy. This is Q-Feel's "Dancing In Heaven":



If you are feeling a little tired, here's some music to wake you up. The Black Keys are one of the most unappreciated bands currently working. This is one of their better songs "Oceans and Streams":



With the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak, the following song may be out of date. This is Dio's "Egypt (The Chains Are On)":



Here's another 80's rock classic, Def Leppard's "Photograph". And if you are wondering what or who this song is about, Joe tells you.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites