Friday, July 1, 2011

Just Say No to "Tranformers 3: Dark of Common Sense"

Hello,

I have yet to see "Transformers 3" and I hope to keep it that way. After seeing the craptastially horrid "Transformers 2", I have no desire to see the third one. The quality of this movie trilogy is obvious when people say the first one was the only good one. When a chaotic mess like "Transformers" is considered good, what does that say about Michael Bay. When a second and third "Transformers" movie is made, what does that say about Hollywood? What does that say about us, the people who keep on attending these crappy movies.

So as anyone predicted, the reviews for "Transformers 3" have been less than kind. It seems many reviews have been along the lines that this movie wasn't as bad as expected. When that's your consensus review, how bad is the movie? Peter Travers of Rolling Stone magazine closes his review of "Transformers 3" with this paragraph:

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon — high on any list of the worst blockbusters ever (move over Green Lantern, you've been bitch-slapped) — is a movie bereft of wit, wonder, imagination, and any genuine reason for being. Watching it makes you die a little inside. Is this the future of movies? God help us! Michael Bay, you've done it again."

How bad do movies have to get before they start getting better? Hell, Travers gave "The Green Lantern" 1 star. And that movie is pretty darn terrible. It's flatter than a pre-teen girl. I did have the misfortune of watching "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Stupid". Sam Witwicky goes to college until he gets pulled back into the war with the Transfomers. Cue explosions! Seriously that's the whole movie. I ain't the sharpest knife in the tool shed already, but I think I lost about 10 IQ points while watching that movie. That movie was so bad, I couldn't wait for it to end.

Is Michael Bay the worst director ever? These are some of his movies he has "directed": All 3 "Transformers" movies. He's also responsible for "The Rock", which I think is the first of the no story/ all action movies. This movie didn't start the dumbing down of Hollywood, but it certainly sped it up. He also directed "Armageddon", which certainly is on my list of Top Ten worst movies ever. It was so boring I didn't even watch the end. I completely had stopped caring. Even with Bruce Willis in it, who I love, I hated everything about this movie. The love story was extremely juvenile etc.

He also directed "The Island", "Pearl Harbor" and both "Bad Boys" movie. The subtitle for "Bad Boys 2" should have been "I'm Only Doing This For The Money". I understand all movies aren't going to be great, wouldn't that be cool, and it's okay for people to make bad movies. That is as long as they do everything they can to ensure its the best they possibly can make. I don't get the feeling that happens with Michael Bay movies. It seems like he has a formula for how to make a blockbuster. Seemingly the formula is don't let story get in the way of the action. The story should compliment the action, not the other way around.

If Michael Bay had directed "Super 8", the train crash scene would have been a hour long. If he directed "The Titanic", the boat would have taken all 3 hours to sink. What? It did that already? (But at least James Cameron has made some good movies.) I'm just imagining what would have "The Sixth Sense" been like if Michael Bay had directed it? Haley Joel Osment would have saw many more dead people. And their deaths would have been much more horrific.

So America how do we stop this kind of nonsense? I get it sometimes you just want to go to your local air conditioned theatre and relax. I completely understand that, but shouldn't there be some entertainment involved as well? There needs to be a movement where huge groups of people just stop going to these movies. The only way you can get a corporate America company to change is to deprive them of what they crave so much: money. Why should Hollywood care about story when we will go see almost every piece of crap they give us?

With "Transformers 3" breaking all kind of records, the message Hollywood gets is that people like these movies. There's already rumors of a "Transformers 4", or maybe they should just call that movie "Transformers $".

I know I can't do much on my own. But when I left "The Green Lantern" I vowed I was going to stop seeing these kind of horrid movies just to get some escape. If a movie bores me and I battle sleep through it, how good of an escape is it? I can battle sleep at home without paying a cent or killing brain cells.

Just when you can, maybe go see an art house film. The creators of those usually have a lot less money to make movies. They can't just use explosions to cover up a lack of story. They have to focus on making the story as good as possible. While not an art house film, "The King's Speech" is a great movie. Although it's during war time we don't see any explosions. The focus is completely on the story, we see a great story told with humor, compassion and thought. We also see some great acting. I'll wait while someone explains what that is to Bay. In "The King's Speech" Colin Firth got the awards and most of the praise, but Geoffrey Rush was absolutely magnificent in that film. We feel the frustration of King George and his therapist. We feel how these two dissimilar men begin to care for each other. Instead of explosions and head scratching story lines, there's genuine emotion in this movie. Making "Speech" must have been Rush's penance for being involved in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. In the "Pirates" movies he did the best he could with very little he had to work with.

Please America let's pressure Hollywood to make much better movies. Just say no to crap like "Transformers".

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites