Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Spotify, NFL Lockout All But Seems Over

Hello,

I continue to play with and listen to Spotify. It's very cool. Spotify has 15 million songs available, it would be very hard to find a song that they don't have. I'm now listening to the band called needtobreathe, which is the opening act for Taylor Swift on her current tour. needtobreathe is a very good band and I think they will be a great opener to Taylor Swift. I think needtobreath could have a Lady Antebellum type career. That should be a great concert. Now if we can get Swift to sing all of her hits, not just her newer hits.

One thing I don't like about the free Spotify (as my Mom says "beggars can't be choosers") is what happens when I lose connection to the internet. When that happens I also lose the ability to listen to Spotify. At my job the internet connection is very erratic. However if you have Premium Spotify, which is $9.99 a month, one can listen to Spotify offline. That allows you to listen to a total of up to 3000 songs. That's a pretty cool feature. For me when Spotify isn't connected to the internet I can just listen to iTunes.

It sounds like the NFL Lockout is all but wrapped up, with the NFL opening for business as soon as Friday. There are still a few minor things to work through, but those seem to be almost a certainty in being quickly resolved at this point. Once the NFL opens for business tentatively NFL teams will have 3 days to sign their own free agents. After that it should be a complete free for all as any free agent can sign with any team.

I'm glad the proposed length of this new CBA is 10 years. As much as I love the NFL, it seems both the owners and players still take us NFL fans for granted. I was hoping this lockout would be extended, costing the loss of at least a few regular season games. More importantly that would cost both sides money. That seems to be the only thing that gets their attention. It would be nice to see both sides learning to appreciate their fans more. I predict there will be things the NFL does to "thank" it's fans but I believe that will be just lip service mostly.

While I wanted the NFL to go on an extended lockout, I only wanted that half-heartedly. I'll be glad to have the NFL back and be able to watch games Thursday nights, all day Sunday and Monday nights.

Of course, with me being a life long Cowboys fan, it will be another disappointing season for me. The Cowboys will either start out well and then falter as they traditionally do. Or the Cowboys will just suck from the start as they did last year. At least there's no Wade Phillips to be seen on the Cowboys sideline. No Phillips is a tremedous consolation. Tony Romo will have nice numbers, but never seem to be able to get the big win. I don't think it's coincidental that the Cowboys played better last season after Romo was injured. Too bad his backup, Jon Kitna, will be in a wheelchair and on oxygen soon. (It sucks getting old.)

Speaking of Tony Romo, NFL.com's Warren Sapp says "I don't think he has the potential to raise his game." I agree so much, Romo will put up big numbers during the regular season. But since I'm in a charitable mood, I'm putting mildly here, he will under perform in the postseason. That is if Dallas makes the postseason. It's been several years since Romo and the Cowboys have lived up to what us Cowboys fans expect.

Speaking of lockouts, I think that the NBA lockout

One final sports note, the Pittsburgh Pirates are in first place all by themselves in the NL Central. They lead both St. Louis and Milwaukee by one-half game. Pittsburgh hasn't broke under the pressure yet. I predict the NL Central will be a two team battle between St. Louis and Pittsburgh, I just feel that Milwaukee is very vulnerable. I do wonder if the Pirates are going to make a move to help them this season. Either that or let this young term learn about pressure to be better suited for future postseasons. Go Pirates!

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites