Thursday, July 21, 2011

More about Spotify, Clayton The Magnificent

Hello,

Spotify continues to impress. I've heard about the free Spotify that there's a limit on the amount of music I can listen to. I've also heard most of the first people in the U.S.A. to sign up for free Spotify will have unlimited listening. It seems I belong in the second group because I haven't had any issues with playing anything I want, for how long as I want. The only issue I've had with Spotify isn't their fault. Sometimes where I work with their erratic internet connection Spotify stops playing. Other than that it's been one of the very few things that actually lives up to the hype.

I answered my own question from yesterday about how to keep continuous play for a specific artist. In the search box: type in the artists name. That brings up three tabs: overview, biography and related artists. The overview tab is the default tab. Stay there and Spotify lists all their CDs in chronological order. It also lists their singles and any soundtrack or other various artists CDs they may have appeared on. Click on the random button in the bottom right corner and one can listen to all of an artists songs to your hearts content. If you choose random play, go to play queue and it will tell you what order the upcoming songs will be played in.

Besides listening randomly you can listen to the tracks straight through, both play in continuous play. When you listen to an artist's music straight through pick a CD and first Spotify plays all the songs on that CD and then automatically starts playing the songs on the artist's previous CD.

Anyway what I've been doing with my Spotify listening is revisiting 80's classic CDs. I listened to Madonna's "Like A Prayer" yesterday. That still holds up very well. With full disclosure I'm a huge Madonna fan, especially her 80's music. 2011 Grade: B+

This morning I listened to Janet Jackson's "Control". It doesn't hold up as well as "Like A Prayer". "Control" is a feast or famine CD. It has 6 amazing songs, when you look at the track listing you'll know what songs I'm talking about. Then there are three songs that are mediocre at best. "You Can Be Mine" is an absolute clunker. 2011 Grade, because of the 6 great songs, B.

Right now I'm listening to Prince's "1999". It's a fairly decent CD. This CD starts off with and is anchored by "1999" and "Little Red Corvette". Without a doubt those are two classics. However the next few songs vary in quality. "Delirious" and "Let's Pretend We're Married" are half-decent. But "D.M.S.R." is a forgettable, vulgar track. However many of the songs have something to recommend them. This also is a very danceable record and no one can deny the funkiness of Prince. 2011 Grade: I'm a bit uncertain, either a B or B-. Prince was so amazing back in the day. Why isn't there someone as good now releasing music? They don't make dance music like they use to.

Sports: Many people think the NFL Lockout is going to end today. I don't have an exact count but I think it's about 132 days the NFL has been in lockout. The players were suppose to vote on the new CBA yesterday. However they didn't have a complete CBA to look at, it looks like their vote will take place today. It's also expected the owners will vote today, it seems they have the votes to agree to the CBA. Any lingering issues seem to have been resolved. The NFL should reopen for business as usual as early as tomorrow.

In the Dodgers' Sad Summer of Frank good news for the Dodgers has been rare. However there have been a couple of very bright spots for the Dodgers. Along with Matt Kemp, there also has been Clayton Kershaw, aka Clayton the Magnificent. He had another strong outing last night, holding the defending World Series champ to 0 runs. The Dodgers offense continues to be pathetic and they only scored one run. LA must lead the league in 1-0 wins because of their mostly sterling pitching staff and weak offense. Anyway Kershaw went to 11-4 on the season. He only allowed 3 hits in 8 innings. Kershaw struck out 12 Giants, he leads the MLB with 167 strikeouts. If he could pitch everyday the Dodgers would be contenders. (Thanks to espn.com)

It does crack me up that the Dodgers fired their hitting coach Jeff Pentland. It's not his fault that team can't hit. The Dodgers are sorely lacking for talent. If you really want to help the Dodgers, fire Frank McCourt!

With me working about 56 hours this week, I haven't been able to exercise as much as I usually do. However I did exercise this morning, I was reminded of some great songs. Here are a selection of those and other great songs.

Soul 2 Soul's "Back To Life":



In this video look how young The Edge is. U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" Live at Red Rocks:



Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff":



Although the video is a bit weird, I'd forgotten how great this song is. Madonna's "Express Yourself":



Green Day's "Letterbomb":



And a great Incubus long I didn't feature yesterday, "Circles":



I'm not a big Aerosmith fan, especially after Steven Tyler's disastrous "AI" run, but I do like their song "Jaded". I especially like this video as it features the teenage Mila Kunis.
Currently one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites