Thursday, July 28, 2011

Free agency questions

Hello,

Today is Day 3 in NFL free agency. There have been multiple rumors of teams signing or cutting players. To me there has been some very strange moves. As of this point I would take any free agency signing with a grain of salt. Free agents can't officially sign with their new teams until Friday. While most of these moves will be finalized tomorrow, you just never know.

To me the strangest free agency moves happened in Seattle. I'm not sure what Pete Carroll is thinking. The Seahawks let long-time quarterback Matt Hasselback leave via free agency. Next the Seahawks went out and signed Tavaris Jackson. He was the Vikings under performing quarterback for 4 years. He signed a contract for two years and $8million. The first move is a little puzzling, the second move is extremely puzzling. I wouldn't have given Jackson a 6 pack of Diet Coke to sign with my team. Remember he's the same player who couldn't even beat out the old and decrepit Brett Favre last season. (BTW: Brett please don't sign with the Eagles or anybody else.)

The Seahawks then signed the solid wide receiver from Minnesota, Sidney Rice. Rice signed to a 5 year, $41 million dollar contract. I don't understand why you would pair such a mediocre quarterback with such a great wide receiver. It's like putting bald tires on a Ferrari. Also there were rumors that Seattle might sign former USC quarterback Matt Leinart. Fortunately for Seattle that signing didn't happen, the Seahawks lucked out there. It seems Leinart was going to sign with Seattle until they signed Jackson. Leinart told Texans coach Gary Kubiak that he wanted to sign with a team where he could start. Come on Matt you know you can't go back to USC :) I know that Leinart looks like a quarterback. He should have his own commercial where he says "I'm not a quarterback, but I played one on TV". I wouldn't want a team of mine counting on him. (Thanks to texanspost.com.)

Dearest football gods: yes Reggie Bush should be playing for a Florida NFL team this season. However he's suppose to be playing in Tampa, not Miami. The Bucs whiffed on Bush and as of right now almost everyone else. I'm not sure what Tampa's free agency plans are, I assume they have some. They appear to be sitting on the sidelines while all the best players are being snapped up by other teams. Tampa Bay is in a unique position in that they have about $50 million dollars they have to spend by the end of the season to meet the minimum amount agreed to in the new CBA.

The Bucs will resign linebacker Quincy Black to a contract, probably on Friday. It's a 5 year and $29 million contract. That's their big move so far. Come on Tampa Bay you need to sign a player that will get your fan base excited. Black or first round draft pick Adrian Clayborn isn't that player.

I've generally been pleased with Dallas' free agency moves. Letting Marion Barber and Roy Williams go were no brainers. Williams has been a bust since he signed. He's not a very good player and was whiny. Barber seems to have the heart of a champion, but he's used up his body a NFL running back. Of course, the fear is that one of these players will come back and hurt the Cowboys. But I'm glad Dallas will take their chances. It's time for Felix Jones, Miles Austin and Dez Bryant to step up.

Also the older I get and the more I learn about football, the more I learn how important having a great offensive line is. I'm glad Dallas' #1 free agent target was to resign their own free agent Doug Free. (Free needs to change his name to Doug Anything But Free after signing a 4 year-$32 million dollar contract.) I'm glad that Dallas resigned Kyle Kosier and are thinking about resigning Marc Columbo at a reduced price. Also Dallas' #1 pick was Tyron Smith from North Carolina. I'm glad the Cowboys actually filled a need in the draft rather than going after a flashy player.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites