Saturday, July 23, 2011

First come, first serve Spotify invite, Black Stone Cherry, Finale of themusicaddict's bookclub

Hello,

I tried multiple ways to get invites for free Spotify memberships. A few days ago I received an invite from Spotify themselves. Since then I've used and enjoyed Spotify very much. This morning I received an invitation from Chevrolet and their Sonic car promotion. Obviously I don't need it and will forward it gladly to the first person who leaves a comment. While there are no strings attached, there are also no guarantees that it will work. I don't know if this invite will work for anyone else since it's tied to my e-mail. If it doesn't work for you please don't contact me, because I don't know what else can be done. F.Y.I. This is an USA invite, I doubt it will work for another country.

I've used Spotify for at least 30 hours over the 5 days I've had it. I've noticed the commercials are coming more frequently now. I still don't want to listen to the new CDs by The Black Angels or the horrid Tinie Tempah though. Since the commercials are only about 30 seconds long and introduce new music, I don't find them that annoying yet.

I would like to thank my brother for alerting me to a couple of songs. This is Black Stone Cherry's "White Trash Millionaire" (I love the Lady Gaga reference in this song):



Right now I'm listening to Black Stone Cherry on Spotify (I love Spotify). I'm listening to their new CD "Between The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea". So far all their music I've listened to has been very good. Once I listen to the CD a few times a review will be forthcoming. I wonder if this CD would pass the car test? Could they be a new great rock band to fall in love with? From now on I'm just going to blame it on the boom boom :) This video isn't for everyone.



The other song he suggested is The Rival Sons "Pressure and Time", my brother notes it as a Zeppelinesque song. This was one of the free songs that was available from iTunes a couple of weeks ago and it quickly found a home on my iTunes.



Both the NFL Lockout and Frank McCourt divorce/bankruptcy/any other reason he can be in court dramas both go on. At this point I'm just done with both and won't be having any more updates unless something truly significant happens. Although I was very pleased with the Delaware judge's decision yesterday. From espn.com: "A Delaware judge on Friday rejected the Los Angeles Dodgers' proposed $150 million bankruptcy financing plan..." (Thanks to ESPN) This seems to be just one step closer to the Dodgers getting a real owner.

I finished reading the good "The Lonely Polygamist" by Brady Udall last night. This was my July book club selection. If you have any suggestions for the August book club, please leave a comment. If no comments I do have several books under consideration.

I'd definitely recommend that you read this book. Your opinions on polygamy are irrelevant, just read this book and enjoy. Here are some thoughts. First of all I expected Udall had written a book mocking polygamy. Not only did he not write that book, he wrote with a very sympathetic view of polygamy. He especially wrote with a sympathetic eye to the family members that tend to get lost in these large families. Udall was very effective in making us feel for the plight of the hilarious Rusty and lost wife Trish.

Why did Udall write the family patriarch, Golden Richards, being so dumb and dishonest? Especially when he seems to get away, even benefit, from it. I didn't things would work out in the end for Golden. I predicted the members of this family would be fine though. The ending of the book shows Udall's sympathetic eye to polygamy. That's not how my life has worked out. I don't recall a time where I was dumb or dishonest and benefited from it.

What was the purpose of Raymond the ostrich being a relatively frequent character in this book? Also why was the Barge, a giant disgusting couch with all sorts of bodily fluids, featured so prominently? What was Udall trying to accomplish with what seems to be such trivial details? I have a few theories but what are your theories?

Other questions: What do you think about the revelations of Golden's first wife Beverly? What did you think of the new Golden after he figured out a few things? What did you think about the fates of Huila, Ted Leo and June?

themusicaddict

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Craig, I came across your blog after a google search looking for a spotify code. Found your blog pretty interesting and read a couple of posts-will be sure to check it out in the future. However, despite putting in my email for a spotify code, I am anxious to try it and I was wondering if you could send that extra code along to me. Thanks man. -Jeff jwb1992@gmail.com

Favorites