Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Andrea True, Truly Great Disco Songs

Hello,

In case I don't get a chance to write tomorrow, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

I only have the vaguest memory of this song, "More More More". However the singer died awhile ago, so I thought I would honor here. Although watching this video makes me realize how strange disco music was. I know it was just a brief flash in the pan, but I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.


"More More More" was sampled for this 1999 Len song. Funny a one hit wonder sampled another one hit wonder. Honestly though I don't hear the sample in the Len song. I actually prefer the Len song quite a bit. "More More More" isn't one of the all-time classic disco songs.


Here's a couple classic disco songs:

Alicia Bridges "I Love The Nightlife". While this is a disco song, it's just not a disco song. It has some funk in it and Alicia Bridges is a great singer. Also this song is damn catchy.


Anita Ward's incredibly sexy "Ring My Bell":


This might be the greatest disco song ever by easily the greatest disco band:


I love this Bee Gees song too, especially the cool sounds at the :19 mark.


Vicki Sue Robinson's "Turn The Beat Around". Great song, but some of the worst dancing and ly synching I've ever seen.


Two more disco classics before I move on. Hearing this song again for the first time in years I realize how great of a song it is. Thank you Gloria Gaynor!


I remember trying to dance to this song in a elementary school performance, Van McCoy's "The Hustle":


Okay just one more. This song became the anthem for the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates as they won an incredible World Series. Here's hoping they win another title in my lifetime:


Really the last one, I need to give some respect to the ultimate disco queen, Donna Summer. I love this song in a much different arrangement:


Spotify continues to disappoint me a bit as they don't have a disco radio station.

This Ozzy song is definitely not a disco classic. It has one of the greatest openings ever, an all-time classic:


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites