Friday, November 25, 2011

Dallas Cowboys: Is 7-4 mostly Smoke and Mirrors?, Great Songs

Hello,

The Dallas Cowboys beat a very average Miami Dolphins team yesterday. Sure Miami had won 3 games in a row, but that still made them a 3-7 team. Their head coach is on the hot seat and will probably be fired at the end of the season. And Dallas still barely won 20-19. I know Rob Ryan is supposed to be a defensive guru, but his defense still suffer severe lapses at times. Their corners are awful, when they can play. Terrance Newman played yesterday and was abused a few times. The other starting corner, Mike Jenkins, missed the game to injury, again. Then their backups aren't very good either. Obviously new corner backs should be their #1 offseason priority.

After giving up four straight scoring drives that put Miami in front, Dallas finally came up with the big stop when they needed it. Then their offense was able to drive the ball down the field for Dan Bailey's very clutch field goal.

I'll have to admit that Tony Romo looked very good yesterday, especially in the second half. Although he threw two terrible interceptions in the first quarter. Then later in the second half he threw up a pass that somehow found it's way into Jason Witten's waiting arms for a first down. Still I never want to see him throw a pass like that again.

I like the emergence of Laurent Robinson and DeMarco Murray, two players who weren't a big part of the Cowboys offensive plans at the start of the season. Of course both benefitted from injuries. When both tissue thin Dez Bryant and Miles Austin were injured, Robinson got his chance. He has been a fantastic wide receiver since then, he caught two touchdown passes yesterday. Then Felix Jones got injured and they cut Tashard Choice, who's been very ineffective with the Redskins, and now Murray is the starting running back. I love that Murray is such a bruising runner. Now it seems that Jones is basically used for returning kickoffs.

There are some good things happening in Dallas but still it feels like a lot of the success is playing bad teams and smoke and mirrors. The Romocoaster has been up the last few games, that means he's due for a crash. What does it say about Romo that the Cowboys put a claim in on Kyle Orton when the Broncos released him. (Note to Denver Broncos, you really are putting your team in the hands of Tim Tebow? Damn that's crazy. I know he's playing well now and the Broncos are winning, but believe me it's not going to last. My son's team is the Broncos and I've tried to warn him away from a lifetime of heart break, but he won't listen.)

Now the next time he throws up a pass like he did against Miami the next time it will probably go for a pick six. The team continues to struggle with injuries, fortunately they've found better replacements for now. But that defense seems to have a few holes, especially in the secondary. Every time a pass is thrown their way I hope the quarterback overthrows their intended target. Hell Terrance Newman couldn't even stop a reception yesterday when he was tackling the receiver.

Dallas closes with 5 games I could see them losing. Although they have played two crappy teams the last two weeks they've just barely won. Next week they go to play Arizona, another not very good team. But I could see Dallas losing this game. They still have two more games against the yo yo New York Giants. They also play Philadelphia one more time, the mediocre Eagles destroyed and embarrassed Dallas the last time they played. This game will be in Dallas this time. Dallas is 5-1 at home, but they haven't played great at home for the most part. Their other game will be against Tampa Bay, a team that has under performed this season.

If everything breaks their way, Dallas could finish as the NFC's #3 seed. Now do I think that will happen? Are you crazy? No it won't happen, in fact I'd be very surprised if they make the playoffs. I'm just waiting for the Romocoaster to crash and Coach Garrett make another boneheaded decision. For the Cowboys it just seems that the whole is not bigger than the collection of their parts. In spite of being 7-4 I just have no confidence that the Dallas Cowboys team is that good.

Two other quick NFL notes, can anyone beat Green Bay? They just continue rolling, are we going to see Green Bay as the two time defending Super Bowl champs? I hope not, they are a boring champion.

The other two teams I cheer for are the 49ers and the Buccaneers. I'm very disappointed in the Buccaners, they've vastly under performed this season. They battled against Green Bay last week, but just couldn't pull out the win. They aren't making the playoffs this year.

In an ugly defensive battle San Francisco lost to Baltimore last night 16-6. San Francisco is now 9-2 but still should qualify for the #2 seed in the NFC. San Francisco should finish 13-3. Their last five games they play Pittsburgh and 4 poor sisters of the NFC West. I think their big question is how far will Alex Smith take them? I have even less faith in Smith than I do Tony Romo. The 49ers have been brilliant so far in limiting his downside and maximizing his limited upside. But how far will that go? I see some defensive coordinator licking his chops at playing a team with Smith as their starting quarterback. All San Francisco has done is win this year, but I feel less than comfortable about their Super Bowl chances. I do think they have a better chance than the Cowboys in winning the Super Bowl though.

Here's a great song for your day after Thanksgiving funk:


Every time I hear this song I think it's Ryan Adams. I then have to look at iTunes to be reminded it's Loudon Wainwright. This is "Motel Blues", a very strange song:


Another strange little ditty, but I think this is a cool song.


Great Romeo songs:

I know I've had this song on my blog several times, but it's just an amazing song. Dire Straits "Romeo and Juliet":


The great Billy Idol has his own Romeo song, this song kicks butt:


Steve Forbert's "Romeo's Tune":


From the "Romeo and Juliet" movie:


themusicaddict

themusicaddict


No comments:

Favorites