Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanks LaLunaLady!, "The Walking Dead": Will It Get Better? Can It Get Worse?

Hello,

Just a relatively quick blog today. First of all I'd like to thank LaLunaLady for her lengthy and great comments about my review of Gregorian's "Dark Side of the Chant". She obviously knows a lot more about them than I do and I appreciate her insights. It's actually a decent CD and I would like to listen to it again, unfortunately it's not available on Spotify yet. I always wonder to myself why isn't it on Spotify yet? I can't think of any reason an artist wouldn't want their music on Spotify. Once it gets on Spotify I will likely listen to it again.

I took on the task not knowing a lot about Gregorian, in fact I'd never heard of them before receiving an e-mail about them. I compared Gregorian and Enigma, not knowing that both projects came from the fertile music imagination of Frank Peterson. Thanks again LaLunaLady. I welcome any and all comments. If you have a question, thought or blog topic you would like to see discussed you can always reach me by leaving a comment. Or you can e-mail me at ichoosetobecougarblue@yahoo.com.

This is LalunaLady's comments: "Interesting review of Gregorian's “The Dark Side of the Chant”. Thanks for your take on the album, Craig.

Although I am in agreement that “Hell's Bells” may start off a little quiet, to me, its more than made up by the strong chorus and the simply amazing violin solo from Stefan Pintev. Not to mention minute 3:20 when the instruments come together in such a tight fashion (and work so deliciously together) it makes me want to lay down on the floor and die of happiness.

A couple of notes: “Morning Dew” is a cover of a Nazareth song, and there isn't much to be done about the fact that the Alan Parson's Project named the song “Lucifer” ;) but I agree that its one of the strongest tracks on the album, since I believe that Gregorian took this track (in particular) to the next level.

I must admit I smiled a little to myself on your comparison between Enigma and Gregorian, since its ironic to me that you are comparing Frank Peterson'smusic to.....Frank Peterson's music! :D

I am also a little confused on why neither “Dark Angel” or “My Heart is Burning” received a rating in your review. Of the four original Gregorian tracks on the album, I find those to be the strongest. “My Heart is Burning” for its imaginative vocal/guitar riff and “Dark Angel” for the poetically melancholy feel to the composition. "

This is the snippet from the September 9th/16th, 2011 issue of Entertainment Weekly. It's their Fall TV Preview. I'm expecting tonight's fifth episode to be as boring as the other episodes. Tonight I predict we'll be meeting the zombies in the barn, probably the worst and dumbest story line in "Walking Dead" graphic novel history. Then after a couple of more episodes the show is going to be taking a 3 month break. Another stupid idea by AMC, who have had a few lately. Will anyone care when this show returns from it's extended break?

I thought it was funny when I read the following from the above issue. Sarcastic text in bold is all mine.

'We've got some crazy stuff happening,'' says star Andrew Lincoln — and no, he's not talking about all of the behind-the-scenes drama that went on this summer. (Which so far has been more exciting than the show.) ''It took us six episodes [last year] to get to know this crew of people. Now we can really pick up speed with the second season.'' (When is the speed going to pick up? If anything this show is crawling to a complete stop.) With original exec producer Frank Darabont gone — he left in July and was replaced by his No. 2, Glen Mazzara — the zombie apocalypse drama starts up where the finale left off, with Lincoln's Rick Grimes & Co. speeding away from the explosion at the CDC. (Well speeding away until they ran into that horrific jam up of cars and as Dale's RV the whole show overheated.) Whoever survives will end up on the farm of Hershel Greene (played by Scott Wilson), a familiar name to fans of the Walking Dead comic-book series. (Arriving at Greene's farm has killed any momentum built up from last season. Although I know it won't happen tonight would be a good time to leave Green's farm.) Lincoln also has some reassuring words for viewers who are worried Dead might suffer creatively in the post-Darabont era. ''The scripts are sooo good,'' he insists. ''They're amazing.'' (Not only are they not good, they are atrocious. Lincoln's horrid accent is killing my ears.) They'd bloody better be!"

Quick movie reviews: I had the misfortune of seeing "Puss In Boots" over the weekend and I didn't like it. Of course, that's a movie I'd only see because I have kids. I've seen many kids movies over the years and for the most part they aren't very good. Many of them it's obvious the movie was made just to make a quick buck. Then the greed is even more pronounced when they add 3D to it. Based on those two factors I can almost guarantee that "Happy Feet 2" will suck.

The other movie I saw over the weekend was "The Tower Heist". I loved seeing Eddie Murphy making the type of movies that made him famous. Unfortunately most of his best scenes we'd already seen in the preview, like "little seizure boy". While this was a decent movie, it could have been so much better. I did love the ending though. The ending raised this from about a C movie to a B- movie. If you want to go see a movie with a few laughs, this might be the movie for you. Is it a movie though that you can wait until it's a DVD, yes.

Now here are some great songs. Ever since seeing "Castle" this past week, this song has been on my mind. I love Soul Coughing's "Super Bon Bon".


This is one of those songs that I just added because it was free. And it ends up I quite like it.


Who was the greatest of the 80s? Was it Michael, Madonna or Prince? I'm not sure but they all had tremendous music that decade. This is one of Madonna's many great songs from that decade:


Gregorian's "Dark Angel":


"Rock Lobster" (Live):


Europe's "The Final Countdown". This song captures the 80's at their synth zenith.


needtobreathe did about as much as they could with the short 6 song set that Taylor Swift gave them. They played with energy, showed their musicianship and played mainly their better songs. This is one of their best songs:


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites