Wednesday, November 9, 2011

R.I.P. Heavy D, Excited to see Guns n' Roses live again

Hello,

It seems I'm writing a lot of these blogs about people dying. Yesterday Heavy D died at the age of 44. (Gulp that's my age.) Now I won't say that I'm a big fan. In fact, other than his one big hit, "Now That We Found Love" I couldn't tell you a song he sings. However "Now That We Found Love" is an amazing song:


Rightfully Joe Paterno is retiring at the end of the season for his inaction in the case of stopping Jerry Sandusky's actions. He really needed to be gone several years ago.

The NBA and NBAPA are having one final negotiation before Stern's so called ultimatum expires at 5:00pm est today. Yesterday the union voted down the NBA's latest proposal of the players getting anywhere between 49% to 51% BRI. Thus the union is calling Stern's bluff about his ultimatum. Let's see if he waffles and changes his mind as he has previously in this debacle. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Since I found out that Guns n' Roses was coming in concert yesterday I've been very excited. I still haven't heard if and when there's going to be a opening act. I listened to several hours of G n' R music yesterday enjoying some of the greatest music ever. The following are some songs that stuck out in my listening yesterday. These songs aren't necessarily my favorite G n' R songs, but still good songs.

For some reason the live version of "Nice Boys" stood out yesterday:


Also a song from "Chinese Democracy" stood out as well, this is "I.R.S.":


Finally the cover of a Bob Seger song that long has been a staple of their live show "Knockin On Heaven's Door". This song is great but sometimes can get a little sloppy and self-indulgent live.


Here's the setlist from the 11/5/11 show in Dallas. This setlist lists 32 songs that were played. However 9 of those "songs" were guitar solos/ instrumental jams. Guitar solos are one of the most indulgent things at a rock concert. If they are only a minute or two they should be fine. The solos seem to be from classic songs so maybe it will be okay. One of the instrumental jams features the solo at the end of "Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2". It's one of the best guitar solos ever.

This is Pink Floyd live from 1979 playing "Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2". The solo is amazing.


This is the G n' R setlist.

  1. Dexter Intro
  2. (James Bond Theme)
  3. (The Who cover) (Tommy Stinson on vocals)
  4. (Baba O'Riley)
  5. (Mi Amor)
  6. (Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2)
  7. (Someone Saved My Life Tonight/Goodbye Yellow Brickroad)
  8. (Low Rider)
  9. (Pink Panther)
  10. (AC/DC cover)
  11. (Bob Dylan cover)
  12. Encore:

  13. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites