Wednesday, November 16, 2011

NBA=Greedy, TV's must have shows and those that aren't.

Hello,

Since I didn't write a blog yesterday, I didn't wish happy birthday to my brother. Here's a belated happy birthday to him.

A few congratulations first. Congrats to Coach K, head basketball coach at Duke, for winning his 903rd game last night. I hate Duke, but Coach K has always seemed to be a very classy guy. He also has coached the USA Olympic team. I still say John Wooden is the greatest college basketball coach of all-time.

Also Congrats to Justin Verlander for winning the AL Cy Young award. He truly had a fantastic year.

Last but not least, congratulations to the US Men's National Team in soccer. They actually won! In a rematch from last year's World Cup the USA beat Slovenia 3-2. I like the new more exciting attacking offense of this team. Unfortunately the downside is that you'll probably give up more goals.

The NBA players were suppose to receive their first check yesterday. Obviously with them not agreeing to the owner's latest deal, the check was not in the mail. The average of those paychecks was $220,000. If someone came to me and offered to pay me $220,000 every paycheck I'd take it without complaint. Even if that check was only once a year. Of course there would be some conditions, obviously I won't do anything illegal or immoral.

But let's say the job is playing basketball in the NBA. Then yes I would take it. Who wouldn't want to have a job that has the summer off? It's a job where you can have financial freedom and retire at an early age. Yes, I know the players work hard to stay in shape, but at the end of the day they are only playing basketball. When $220,000 isn't enough money maybe your priorities are a bit out of whack?

NBA games now have been cancelled until December 15th, which represents 26% of this season's games. ESPN was showing some of the games that we would be missed with the cancellation of more games. All those games I wouldn't have been watching anyway. Again dearest NBA don't let the door hit you on the way out. Also please both sides get new leadership. No one does arrogant as well as David Stern and I was surprised by how ineloquent Billy Hunter was. NBPA Hunter is really the best that you can do?

Lately my life has been getting busier so I've had to pick and choose which shows to watch. The below are the shows that I'll continue to watch, the shows I'll make time for and why.

1) "The Walking Dead": I know I devote a lot of time on my blog pointing out all the bad things about this show. But I still have hope that someday it can regain it's mojo. I'm hoping when they finally get off Hershel's farm, the excitement level will go back up. And I'll try to hide my irritation as that will be about the same time the show takes a 3 month hiatus.

2) "Castle": Although the show is in it's fourth season it shows no sign of slowing down. The chemistry between Castle and Beckett remains sizzling as they ultimately head to being a couple. I'm fine with the relatively show pace that they are getting towards being a couple. Also Stana Katic is one of the most attractive women on TV today.

3) "The Good Wife", also a good show that keeps on going. It's an incredibly sexy show. It has a heart and a sense-of-humor. It's pleasures are more subtle. Also anytime we can see Alicia's brother would be great. He was on the one season of "Rubicon" as well, a show that should have received a second season. That would have been much better than the first season of "The Killing".

4) "Terra Nova" this show has been good for the most part. I love the dinosaurs and they look pretty realistic. However revisiting the father-son dynamic is boring. Also this last episode, "Proof" was damn boring. The Sixers are supposed to be an element of excitement and tension to the show, unfortunately that doesn't work at all.

5) "A Gifted Man" another good show that puts one in awe of brain surgeons. Although this show is about a neurologist, it has plenty of heart. This last episode had a bit of a bait and switch story line about someone possibly killing Dr. Holt's ex-wife. But overall a very good episode. I loved that the arrogant Dr. Holt went to the shaman for advice.

6) "Lost" I've been slowly working through this windy, thoughtful show. I'm coming to the end of season two now. I love this show and can see why so many people loved it. I wished I would have watched it when the show started but I'm glad I can watch it now. Also Evangaline Lilly is an amazing looking woman.

Shows that I probably won't be finding time for now will come tomorrow. Here are some great songs:

If this isn't the most romantic song of all-time, I don't know what is.


Billy Idol's "Trouble With The Sweet Stuff":


One of the most fun songs of all-time. Is this the greatest song by a one hit wonder ever?


I heard this song on my iPod again this morning, this is just an amazing song:


Many people would consider this band a one hit wonder as well, but Semisonic has many great songs. Although without a doubt this is their best song:


Along with Guns N' Roses "Patience", this is one of the greatest whistling songs ever:


The great Boz Scaggs and "Lowdown":


The Guns N' Roses song of the day, "I.R.S.": This video only has 54 page views. Watch it a few times. I'm trying to find recent performances to see how Axl's voice is holding up. It sounds like it's okay. Also yes there are good songs on "Chinese Democracy".


Another great song from "Chinese Democracy", this is "Better". Also is Axl showing a bit of a personality in this clip?


One more song from Guns N' Roses, this is a classic when the band still had most of the original lineup. This is "November Rain" from 1992:


Bon Jovi's "Edge of A Broken Heart":


This may be my favorite Pearl Jam song, (take a deep breath) "Elderly Woman Behind A Counter In A Small Town":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites