Saturday, November 19, 2011

Quick Reviews of Music That I Was Requested To Listen To

Hello,

A couple of days ago I wrote about music that various companies have requested me to listen to. If people want me to listen to their music, these are my rules going forward. Either send me a code for iTunes that I just can download the music from them. That's my preference. A lesser option for me is to send me the music in MP3 format that I then can drag and drop to iTunes. Music in wma format is virtually useless to me.

Now to the music. From AltSounds I received a request to listen to the debut CD from Cardinal Jack. It's titled "We Shall Start The Dance". They have that very jaunty bouncy similar to the Arctic Monkeys. However their humor is much less sarcastic and mean other than the song about the girl with "big teeth". I'd highly recommend that you pick up this CD, if you can find it. Although AltSounds didn't send the music in my preferred manner, they did sent a link that I can listen to the whole CD on continuous play. I'd give "We Shall Start The Dance" a solid B grade. I'm not sure why Alt Sounds hasn't put up some of Cardinal Jack's songs on youtube.com yet.

The Syndicate asked me to listen to The Dead Milkmen's recent CD, "The King In Yellow". They sent me links to all 17 songs but they are in wma format. I can listen to each song one at a time on Quicktime. However I'm unable to move the songs to iTunes. In not being able to listen to the songs in continuous play is exceedingly obnoxious. I finally found a place where I could listen to continuous play of all 17 songs online, but that's only 30 second snippets of each song.

Overall my grade of "The King In Yellow" is a D grade. It has a couple cool ideas, but at 17 songs it's just way too long. While I thank The Dead Milkmen for the great song "Punk Rock Girl", it's obvious their time has passed. They can now fade into obscurity as they should have several years ago. The Syndicate said they would send me this CD in win zip format but never have. With it being a lot less than great, I don't really consider that a big loss. Although with the Syndicate wanting to get the word out on this CD I don't understand why it's not on Spotify yet. But at least they do have most, if not all, of the songs on youtube.com.

This is one of my favorite songs on "The King In Yellow". This is a good sample of the whole CD. This song only has 728 views, let's see if we can get it all the way up to 1000 views :)


This is another one of the too few good songs on "The King In Yellow":


I was also asked to review this song from Satan's Circus Records. The band is Now In Stereo and the song is titled "Away". For what it is, it's okay. I wouldn't pay money for it. I get it that's it's probably meant to be played in dance clubs. For that it might work. But for it as a stand along track it quickly wears out it's welcome and should be much shorter.


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites