Friday, March 22, 2019

(Finished March 23rd, 2019) "The Dirt": Motley Crue Comes To Netflix, Part 1

Hello,

The life and times of Motley Crue come to Netflix today and never has a title better fit a show than "The Dirt". It will not come as a surprise to anyone that has followed the Crue even a little bit, but the Crue boys were some slimy people, who were allowed to live life to it's worst. What dirt do we have in this movie? The complete lack of morals of Vince Neil, the heroin addiction of Nikki Sixx, the self absorbed mindlessness of Tommy Lee and Mick Mars blind eye. Even Ozzy Osborne dips in his own sleaze in this movie. This is coming from a fan of both the Crue and Ozzy. I love their music, but I'm disgusted by a lot of their choices.

Speaking of their music I wish more time had been spent on their music. We get glimpses of their song writing process- but as any Motley Crue fan knows that's basically Nikki Sixx's gig. What I wanted to see is what things happened that inspired "Home Sweet Home" or "Kickstart My Heart"- other than Sixx's brief death?

I had read "The Dirt" and "The Heroin Diaries" and loved both. As for the movie it was decent, other than all the things that were decadent. One of the best and most heartbreaking parts of "The Dirt" book is the story of Vince Neil's daughter, Skyler. He wasn't the best Dad ever, but he clearly loved his daughter. Skyler's losing battle with cancer brought a much needed humanity to Vince. The movie covers this also, just not as well.

And thanks to the band for shooting down Sixx's idea of naming the band X-Mass, that would've been a x-miss. The band name Motley Crue fit this group of brothers perfectly. A few more of those biographical details would have made the movie even better. Perhaps finding the details that showed more than the wild life of Motley Crue.

I would give this movie a B-. Things I liked about the movie was first and foremost the music. I liked the actors playing Mars, Sixx and Lee- especially Douglas Booth- who played Sixx. I view Sixx as the soul of the band.

Things I didn't like about the movie, the constant and gratuitous sex scenes. I have met my quota for seeing boobs for all year from just this one movie. I wish they would've spent a bit more time finding the actor that plays Vince Neil. The actor doesn't look like Vince at all. I just didn't believe in any way that he could be Vince.

My review in short: I wish the movie would've focused more on the music and a lot less on the sleaze.

Now here are most of the best songs that came from 1981's "Too Fast For Love" to 1987's "Girls Girls Girls":

1) "Live Wire":


2) "Starry Eyes":


3) "Too Fast For Love":


4) "Shout At The Devil":


This video is heavily featured in "The Dirt". 5) "Looks That Kill":


6) "Helter Skelter":


7) "Too Young To Fall In Love":


8) "Ten Seconds To Love":



9) "Smokin' In The Boys Room":



10) "Home Sweet Home":



11) "Tonight (We Need A Lover)":



12) "Save Our Souls":



13) "Wild Side":



14) "Girls Girls Girls":



15) "You're All I Need":



16) "Teaser":



17) "Red Hot":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites