Thursday, July 2, 2020

(Updated July 4th, 2020) A Playlist for "Fleishman Is In Trouble"

Hello,

Yesterday I finished reading Taffy Brodesser-Akner's "Fleishman Is In Trouble". I'm working on a review right now and I'm hoping that will be posted this weekend. I'm still figuring out what I think about the book and I'm working on an A to Z breakdown of this book. While the radio was playing at work The Human League's "Don't You Want Me" played. I thought that would be a perfect song if I had a playlist for this book. Guess what I started working on? Here's the playlist for this book.

From Wikipedia, here's their plot synopsis:

Toby, a 41-year-old hepatologist, is undergoing a bitter divorce from his wife Rachel, a successful talent agent in New York. One day, she drops off their children, 11-year-old Hannah and 9-year-old Solly, at Toby's house while he is still sleeping and takes off. She does not respond to texts or calls from him for the following weeks. The story, narrated by Toby's college friend Libby, a former writer for a men's magazine, follows their lives over this period and the events that led to the breakdown of their 14-year-marriage, as well as reflections of Libby's own life.

Don't take any of these songs as plot points necessarily, but the songs fit in with the book in at least a small way. I'm still thinking about and figuring out what I think about this book, but I have spent a lot of time thinking about this book.

This thought crossed both the minds of Toby and Rachel and probably their kids.
1) The Human League "Don't You Want Me":


The saddest love song ever. 2) Roxette's "It Must Have Been Love":


The beginning of most romantic relationships gives one such a great feeling.
3) Boston "More Than A Feeling":


Another sad love song, so close yet so far away. 
4) Whitney Houston "Didn't We Almost Have It All":


5) Whitney Houston "Just The Lonely Talking Again":



6) Shalamar "The Second Time Around":



7) The Commodores "Sail On":



8) Tina Turner "What's Love Got To Do With It":



9) Toni Braxton "Unbreak My Heart":



10) Gotye featuring Kimbra  "Somebody I Used To Know":



This song matches the tone of "Fleishman" perfectly. 11) Lewis Capaldi "Someone You Love":


12) Lauryn Hill "Ex-Factor":



13) Bonnie Raitt "I Can't Make You Love Me":



We know this isn't true. 14) Abba "Winner Takes It All":



15) The Smiths "Please Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time":



16) Rascal Flatts "What Hurts The Most":



Is it really ever too late? 17) Carole King "It's Too Late":



18) The Bee Gees "How Deep Is Your Love":
19) Celine Dion "Because You Loved Me":


I love this song so much. 20) "Love Song":



21) Joe Cocker "You Are So Beautiful":



22) Tim McGraw "Angry All The Time":
23) Paul Davis "I Go Crazy":



24) Carly Simon "That's The Way I Heard It Should Be":
25) "Goodnight and Thank You":
26) "And The Money Kept On Rolling In":
27) Natalie Cole "Miss You Like Crazy":


28) Sara Bareilles "I Choose You":



Dedicated to the Hr app where Toby found so many of his conquests. 29) Badflower "Girlfriend":



After 14 years of marriage Toby Fleishman found out about dating apps and that a lot had changed since he was single. 30) Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On":



31) Peaches and Herb "Reunited":



Will love save the day for Toby and Rachel? Will it save the day for anyone?
32) Whitney Houston "Love Will Save The Day":



33) Little Big Town "Sugar Coat":



34) England Dan and John Ford Coley "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight":


35) Anne Murray "Broken Hearted Me":



36) Simply Red "If You Don't Know Me By Now":



37) Melissa Manchester "Don't Cry Out Loud":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites