Thursday, July 8, 2010

Damn Things, The Radio Station war is over (mostly)

Hello,

Last night I was looking for something to do for awhile so that I could turn my mind off. I was flipping through the movie channels and stumbled across "Evita". I got sucked into it and watched the last 45 minutes. First of all let me just say, what a great movie. Amazing performances by both Antonio Banderas and Madonna. Madonna's voice sounds so good. It's also a very poignant ending with Che kissing Evita's casket even though he's been ripping her the entire movie. (Yes I realize there were a lot of liberties taken in the movie.)

I think this is my favorite song from the movie:



Although I like this song as well:



Don't forget this song either:



Okay just one more:



Okay just two more:



and



Here's the point, that movie reminds me of my ex-wife, the hex, of course I then continued thinking about her. That's the first damn thing, then driving home I heard this amazing song: "Impossible" by Shontelle. I'd never heard this song before and this song kicks butt. Here it is:



Kelly Clarkson actually sings a version of this song as well. I love, love, love Kelly Clarkson, but Shontelle's version is easily the best version. That's the second damn thing that has me thinking about the hex. Then I turned over to a local country station, guess what another song that reminds me of the hex:



Yeah you guessed it that's the third damn thing that reminds me of my ex-wife. I went for about a month barely thinking about her. When I did it was usually with anger. Now out of the blue she's bubbling back into my brain. What the heck? Not all songs relate to the hex specifically, they just remind me of her. I can see why people are telling me to take a year to heal before even dating. It's worse when you are the dumped one, like I was.

I've been listening to 5 radio stations as I've been driving around the last couple of weeks. They are

1) The Mixx 107.9 (dance pop, 13 year old tween music), They were leading my favorite of all 5 stations of most of that time. They play Lady Gaga, but I also heard a Paramore song the other day. That's where I heard that "Impossible" song driving home today. They don't do a lot of talking either. Unfortunately they also play that lame Ke$ha song, "Your Love Is My Drug". That's one of the worst and most annoying songs ever.

2) 99.5 (not sure of the call sign) but I like their mix of music a lot. They play a lot of dance pop, but they also play some newer rock and roll like Daughtry and Nickelback. They also play some rock from the 90's. I also like how they identify every song after it's played.

3) ZRock 94.9: they are really a hit and miss channel. I was driving to work this morning and they played the amazing White Stripes song "7 Nation Army". But a lot of that harder edge rock music now days sounds the same to me. A lot of it doesn't stand out. I have a hard time giving my loyalty to a radio station where so little music stands out. They also seem to have an insane amount of commercials as well.

4) X96.3: I use to think that this was the hippest station on the air. No longer, the dj's talk way too much. Their morning show has some highlights but is mostly tired now. They don't play a lot of new songs. It seems their playlist is about the same as it was 15 years ago. From my recent listening experience X96 has become an oldies station.

5) 104.3 The Cowboy: You voluntarily call your station the Cowboy? At least use the Spanish word for cowboy, vaquero. That sounds a lot tougher and cooler. I just can't listen to that much country music. Although they did have a good double shot tonight. They played Brad Paisley's "Then" (one of the damn things) and then Sugarland's "Something More". I love that song and Jennifer Nettles has such an amazing voice.

Here's a couple of examples of her amazing voice (and neither of these songs are damn things):



and



Nettles voice has so much power and sorrow in this song. Although the video is simple, it's also very powerful.

So the winner for now, at least tonight, is 99.5.

I can't wait to read more in "The Passage", what an amazing book! You've got to read this book!
Of course you might want to wait until the last two books in the trilogy come out. That's a bad thing about starting to read a trilogy of books on the first one.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites