Sunday, July 4, 2010

match.com sucks (if you are LDS)

Hello,

Just a FYI for my fellow single Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints members. The church is also known as the LDS church or more commonly as the Mormons.

Before getting divorced I knew I would want to get married again eventually. At that point I wanted to get remarried quickly. About 6 weeks before the divorce was final I signed up for match.com and started sending out winks and hoping to make a connection. I'm not the best looking guy so I didn't expect it to happen overnight and I was patient. The divorce was finally final and I had talked to a couple of people at match.com but I hadn't gone on a date. Once my divorce was final I signed up with another dating website, ldssingles.com. Almost immediately I got results there. I went on dates with two different women within a month of the divorce being final. Both were good dates but after the second date I realized I was no way in the frame of mind to be dating. That's for many different reasons including I don't have the money and I need to get my head on straight.

I still wanted to keep ldssingles.com active. While I'm not looking for my future wife now or for at least a few months, I never know when the right one will come along. I was going to let my match.com website subscription run out and not renew. That's until I received the following e-mail from them: "It's simple: You winked at her, she winked back. Subscribe to email her and start the conversation".

Now I know that modern advertising isn't necessarily 100% honest and that they will play on your hopes to get you give them money. Although I know that and I usually am very cynical, my looking for Ms. Right overcame my common sense. I paid for a three month subscription eagerly wanting to find out who had responded to my wink. My subscription became active and I eagerly signed in. I was met with disappointment because this girl who had responded to my wink was two someone that had responded TWO weeks ago. Someone whom I sent a message to and hadn't heard back from. Obviously she wasn't interested and so I gave up. But match.com was selling this as being current.

About 24 hours later they sent me a second e-mail with more inaccurate advertising trying to get me to extend my subscription. I had already signed up for three more months by then. Their website continues to a wasteland for me finding women to talk to. I'm going to call them and have them cancel my account and see if I can get any money back. Giving them money for me is a waste of money.

match.com advertises their website as "Welcome to the most dynamic group of singles anywhere." That's great if that's what you want. But my #1 priority for a future wife is that she's an active LDS member. For those of you who don't know what that means, it's a lot more than going to church every week. So I don't want dynamic, I want a static group of women who have most of the same values as I do. I find that at ldssingles.com but not at match.com.

So if you are LDS and looking for an LDS spouse don't even bother going to match.com. That was pretty much wasted money to me.

A couple of other bad things about match.com is that they have a lot of scammers getting on pretending they are real people and wanting you to send them your private e-mail to their private e-mail. If you stumble across anybody like that, it's not really a person. Set up a block so they can't contact you anymore and alert match.com. match.com is aware of the problem and appears to be vigilant about it, eliminating these fake profiles as soon as possible. But be careful for that. After seeing a couple of these fake profiles, you can usually pick them out pretty quickly.

Another thing that blows about match.com they have a feed which tells you when something new has happened on your account. Unfortunately this feed include when they've added a new advertisement to your account. The advertisement is getting the match.com application added to your phone. They should give you an option to decline seeing that if you aren't interested. I don't even have a cell phone and don't intend on getting one ever. (Even though I use to work for a cell phone company, I think cell phones are one of the biggest wastes of money ever.) Obviously this isn't something I'd ever be interested in.

The following song describes where I want to get to in the next few months:



I'm not there yet. I'm still working on getting "my stuff together" and making it "through the weather."

I actually quite like this Jason Derulo CD. "In My Head" is one of the catchiest songs I've heard in the last several years. Although I didn't approve when I heard my 9 year old daughter singing it.

Next blog coming soon: I'm giving big thumbs up to a CD that I expected to hate, but I actually love. You'll be surprised when you hear the artist is. Also a review of ew.com's alleged "10 Hot Songs of the Summer". None of these songs will be classics and most, if not all, of them will be forgotten by the end of the summer.


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites