Tuesday, July 6, 2010

EW.com's 10 Hot Summer Songs Seriously?

Hello,

Currently I'm listening to Bret Michael's new CD, "Driven". It's about what you expect, it's an okay CD. There are some good songs on here like his duet with Miley Cyrus (there's that name again) "Nothing To Lose". Other highlights include "Go That Far" and his interesting take on Sublime's "What I Got". He also does a lame and boring remake of his own "Every Rose Has It's Thorn". I like Miley Cyrus's cover better of one of the all-time greatest songs.

On to ew.com's 10 Hot Summer Songs. Most of these songs suck. If your brave enough and want to hear these songs or see the videos go to ew.com.

1) "Misery"- Maroon 5, a very cheesy video. This is one of the best songs on this list, that's a sign of how bad the list is. Grade C-.

2) "Dream About Something"- Sally Seltman This is a trippy sounding song. I have to admit after a few listens, this song is growing on me. My grade now is B-, but may go higher as the song continues to grow on me.

3) "Right On"- The Roots with Joanna Newsom singing over the track. A pretty typical rap track with Newsom's winsome voice adding some personality to the song. Do we really need more rap songs though? Grade: D

4) "Bad Angel"- Dierks Bentley Is this really the same guy that sang the great "What Was I Thinkin'"? This song is a slow, boring bluegrass tinged song with guest appearances by Jamey Johnson and Miranda Lambert. Grade: D (being generous)

5) "Satellite"- Lena This is okay, it's very derivative of The Pipettes though. There's something about Lena I really like, not her bad dancing, though. I love her voice, her spunkiness and she's cute. This is the only song I could make it all the way through when listening to. I actually like Lena more than the song. Grade: B-

6) "Dancing On My Own"- Robyn I wasn't real thrilled when I first heard this song, but it's growing a little bit on me as well. It's still an average euro disco song though. Grade D+.

7) "Round and Round"- The Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. This song is hot? Doesn't a song have to be good to be hot? This song blows like no other and the artwork is stupid. Although if you're looking for a song to fall asleep to, this would be great for that. Grade: Z-

8) "Be Still"- Big Boi Again do we really need another generic rap song? Janelle Monae sings the chorus, adding life to a lifeless song. Boi peeked out with "Hey Ya", I think it's time to retire Boi. Some songs grow on me, this song actually gets worse each time I hear it. Grade: D-

9) "The Boxer"- Gaslight Anthem No, this is not a remake of the Simon and Garfunkel classic. That song already has been skewered by Lee Dewyze this year. This original composition at least has a beat and some life. Grade C+.

10) "Goldskull"- Miniature Tigers Another boring, tiresome, soulless song. Grade Z-

I read another big chunk in Justin Cronin's "The Passage". This is getting to be such a good book.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites