Tuesday, February 5, 2013

themusicaddict's Great Songs: In Case You Missed Them, "Cigarettes and Truckstops" etc (Updated 2/13/13)

Hello,

When I listen to music on iTunes, 95% of the time I listen to music on shuffle. One advantage of that is that I hear songs that I'd never hear any other way. Through shuffle I discovered one of those great songs last night.  Lindi Ortega's "Cigarettes and Truckstops":



I'm not a smoker and think that smoking is one of the most vile things in the world. However I love the imagery of "Three Cigarettes In An Ashtray":



Van Halen's "You and Your Blues":



And just because it's one of my favorite songs of all-time, I cannot tell you how much I love this song. Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam's "All Cried Out":



I love the singer's voice. Three Days Grace "Break":



Tift Merritt's "Mixtape":



"Smash" Season Two starts up tonight, just in case the omnipresent ads missed you. I liked "Smash" for about the first two-thirds of Season 1, but then got tired of it. They have some great songs, I'm not sure if I'm going to watch Season Two or not. Tonight's premiere is two hours. Of course I'd watch this over the hideously lame "American Idol". The amazing and gorgeous Katharine McPhee, showing that she's just not a pretty face. "Brand New Key":



I'm sure you've heard this song already, but this is such an amazing song. Miranda Lambert's "Over You":



This is Sufjan Stevens "Casimir Pulaski Day":



Five Iron Frenzy's "It Was A Dark and Stormy Night":



Elefant's "Uh Oh Hello":



I have no idea why Bruce Springsteen's "Wrecking Ball" didn't receive more attention, it's full of great rock songs. Here's a few, starting with "Wrecking Ball":



I love when completely unaware I stumble across a song that's this great. I had this CD in my car and I had become tired of the other CDs in my car, so I listened to "Wrecking Ball". When this song came on I fell in love. I've added the song to my iPod and listened to it in my car several times. This song kicks some serious butt and I love the lyrics, "Death To My Hometown":



Selected "Death To My Hometown" lyrics:

No cannonballs did fly
No rifles cut us down
No bombs fell from the sky
No blood soaked the ground
No powder flash blinded the eye
No deafening thunder sounded
But just as sure as the hand of god
They brought death to my hometown
They brought death to my hometown

No shells ripped the evening sky
No cities burning down
No armies stormed the shores for which we’d die
No dictators were crowned
High off on a quiet night
I never heard a sound
The marauders raided in the dark and brought death to my hometown, boys
Death to my hometown

"Shackled and Drawn":



A couple recent free iTunes songs, both of these songs are great. Matt Hires "Restless Heart":



The Virginmary's "Just A Ride":



A song that's a few years older, but that's still great. This is Project Jenny/ Project's Jan's (with Fujiya and Miyagi's) "Pins & Needles":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites