Sunday, February 3, 2013

"The Americans", Kickstarter" Five Iron Frenzy, Early Rise

Hello,

With a lot of anticipation I watched the first episode of "The Americans" last week. I'd read the article on grantland.com about it being the best new show since "Homeland", which quite simply is one of the best shows literally ever. (And unlike Ryan King on "Go On", I do know the definition of literally and know how to use it correctly.) Since it shows "live" at 11:00pm in the Salt Lake Valley I recorded it to watch Thursday night. So after a long work week I got home and all ready to watch it. I've written often how much I love Comcast, especially their On Demand. I love that I can fast forward through the commercials and stop if I need to do something else and pick up later etc.

However lately Comcast and On Demand have been having some problems. There have been glitches on the screen during shows. Glitches is the best word I can think of. Anyway these glitches usually last a few seconds and only occur for a brief time and are nothing more than a minor annoyance. I recorded the debut episode of "The Americans" the glitches have been much worse. They encapsulate the whole screen and can last for 2 or 3 minutes. It essentially made the show unwatchable.

So far I've only seen the first 2/3rds of "The Americans" and it was okay. However I won't be giving a full preview of "The Americans" until I see the full episode. Hmm, maybe I can watch it on-line. I checked my recorded copy of "The Americans" last night. Sadly the glitches were still showing. Also as of last night the show isn't On Demand. It's probably not a good thing when someone compares your show to "Homeland". That's a standard that almost no one can live up to.

In the October 1st, 2012 issue of Time there's an article about a website called Kickstarter. Basically the idea is that a bunch of people make small donations to something they believe in. Then there's the hope that the project will become big. There are usually some very cool dividends involved for those who participate in the so called crowd funding. Each Kickstarter project only lasts about 30 days.

Anyway I'm always on the lookout for the next big thing music wise. Previously researching Megan Joy I stumbled across the fact that she had a Kickstarter project. Her project was successfully funded on Augusts 31st, 2011. For those of you who don't remember, Megan Joy finished 8th on "American Idol" a few years ago. Not only is she one of the most beautiful women to ever appear on "AI", she also has a fantastic voice. She's also a fellow Salt Lake City resident, one of the thousands of the beautiful women in Salt Lake Valley.

I thought to myself maybe I can find a great band on Kickstarter and maybe even send a little tax refund money their way. As I was checking out Kickstarter I stumbled across the band Middle Class Mischief, eh they are pretty generic screamo music.

I've often thought there are a lot of great bands out there, it's just a matter of finding them. The record companies mostly give us crap, so true music lovers have to seek out the great music on our own.

However the next band I found on Kickstarter is Five Iron Frenzy, a band I like much better. They are a ska/rock band that has a very Mighty Mighty Bosstonesish sound. Their Kickstarter project to record a new album was successfully funded on Jan 21st, 2012. This Kickstarter project was so that they could record a new CD. They were asking for a total of $30,000 and ended up receiving $207,980. Their project was funded 693%.

It seems Five Iron Frenzy is a band that has been around a long time, but I've never heard of. If I seem someone who's completely clueless about this band, you know why. Thankfully a lot of these bands have their music on youtube.com and Spotify, one can get a sense of what their musical identity is.

This is Five Iron Frenzy's Kickstarter concert from Denver, Colorado:



From what I can tell, they are still working on the album they used Kickstarter funds to make. This is the first song from said album, "It Was A Dark and Stormy Night": (I love this song!)



This is one of my other favorites of their songs, "Oh Canada":



A band that may be worth investing your hard earned money in is a band called Early Rise. Their project is currently seeking funding at Kickstarter. Currently with 20 days to go in this funding cycle,  they are 61% funded. So far they've had $9191 pledged of the $15,000 they need to record their new album. They hope to release said new album December, 2013.

This is their song "Wasteland":



"Become Mad":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites