Tuesday, February 19, 2013

NBA Thoughts: Dwight Howard Continues To Be An Idiot

Hello,

Just a few quick NBA thoughts today.

This past weekend was the NBA All-Star game, did anyone watch it? And if so, why? Twenty years ago the NBA All-Star game was in Salt Lake City and I was so excited for that game. The game went into overtime and John Stockton and Karl Malone shared the MVP award. Remembering that was the highlight of the All-Star weekend for me.

However in the last several years I realized that for the most part all-star games are boring. The worst All-Star game is the NFLs without a doubt. I have no idea why they even keep on playing that game. I couldn't even tell you who won this season's All-Star game or could I tell you anything about it. While the NBA All-Star game is better than the NFLs, overall it's pretty pointless as well.

The dunk contest is boring as is the 3 point shooting contest. Nearly everything else is boring about the NBA's All-Star Game. Then as for the actual game itself on Sunday, yawn. Who's the idiot who thought the game should be in primetime? Who wants to watch an all-offense, no defense game? I know that it sounds cool initially, it just gets boring quickly.

Kobe Bryant obviously played for the Western Conference All-Stars. So Kobe how did you like playing on a good team again? Hopefully soon the 10th place Lakers will become the after thought that they already should have become.

Meanwhile Bryant'ss idiotic teammate Dwight Howard was making an ass out of himself as usual. I love that he made that 3/4ths court shot. I just wondered how many he attempted before he finally hit that shot. It's to typical of Howard to practice shots that draw attention to himself, but he still can't make half of his free throws. Then during the game itself he hit the long two pointer and then pretended like he was blowing smoke off of his hot pistols before holstering the guns. Please. If Howard worked as hard on his free throw shooting as he does on drawing attention to himself, he would be legendary. The fact that he isn't even close says all that needs to be said.

I'd love to see Howard get traded before Thursday's NBA trade deadline. But to do that the Lakers would have to admit they made a mistake in trading for Howard in the first place. The Lakers making a mistake, gasp. Obviously trading Howard won't happen. No matter how the Howard-Andrew Bynum trade looks three years from now, the Lakers won't be the biggest loser in that deal. No, that will be the 76ers, who traded for Andrew "Head Case" Bynum of all people. He makes Howard look like a rocket scientist.

Also R.I.P. to Dr. Jerry Buss. I'm a first class Lakers hater, but I always had respect for him. While he was the Lakers owner, they won 10 championships. That's pretty impressive.

Back to the Howard-Bynum trade briefly, trading for players based on potential, hype and upside is fool's good. Also trading for players that are head cases or injury prone in hopes that you can get a deal is also not a good idea. Believe me I know this first hand as I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan. The first two lines in this paragraph basically describes the Cowboys drafting/ trading and free agent signing strategy. Why else do you think the Cowboys are always so mediocre?

Anyway one NBA trade I'd approve of is the Paul Milsap-Eric Bledsoe potential trade. The Jazz have too many good front court players and it's hard to find minutes for all their bigs. Although I wish Al Jefferson was the one that was potentially going to the Clippers. The Jazz need a long-term solution for point guard. The patchwork point guard solutions just isn't working for the Jazz. First Devin Harris and now Mo Williams. Both decent point guards, but neither one will take a team to a NBA Championship.

NFL news: Matt Barkley will be attending the NFL Combine, but will not be throwing. I expect that Barkley will be the next ex-USC quarterback to be a bust in the NFL. He's a good pocket passer when given time, but he's too immobile for the NFL.

If you ever stumbled across this blog a few times, you'll notice that I claim 3 teams as "my" NFL teams. The Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Bucaneers and the San Francisco 49ers. I've been a lifelong Cowboys fans, but have become so dissatisfied with how poorly run they've been for the last several years. The fact that they would even consider re-signing Tony Romo boggles my mind. He's failed in nearly every single big game up to this point, why does anyone think that will be changing soon? I would also question if they don't resign Anthony Spencer but do resign Jay Ratliff. Of course they are so hampered by Jerry Jones many atrocious drafts.

I know a long preamble, but I'm saying that as I expect my teams to have higher standards. It's another reason why I've become so disillusioned with the Dallas Cowboys. They've always had miscreants on their team. From Hollywood Henderson to Michael Irvan to now Jay Ratliff and Josh Brent. Once in awhile a miscreant will turn out to be a good player and be able to contribute. But for every Michael Irvin and Charles Haley there are 15 Tank Johnsons signed by the Cowboys.

For the most part the Buccaneers seem to have had mostly decent dudes on their team. But when they have someone do something stupid, I'm going to call them out. Da'Quan Bowers, what the hell were you thinking? He was arrested at LaGuardia airport yesterday. In his carry on bag he had a handgun. Apparently Bowers hadn't heard of 9/11. How did he not know that he shouldn't bring a gun with him to an airport? Did he have a sense of entitlement from being a NFL player? Has he done similar things before and got away with it? I can't even put in words how stupid this was.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites