Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Best Songs The 80s Have To Offer: The Movies (Updated 2/8/13)

Hello,

Of course the following videos are probably more a commercial for the movie than it is about the song.

One of the uber-80's movies is "Top Gun".  "Top Gun", now in 3D and IMAX, is returning to movie theaters this Friday. (I love IMAX, but 3D is very lame technology.) It will be in theatres until February 13th. I plan to go see it before it's gone again. I would take my kids too if it wasn't for that one scene.



I look forward to hearing this amazing song blasting out of a primo sound system once again. Here are my three favorite songs from "Top Gun". Kenny Loggins butt kicking "Danger Zone":



And this song is a bit dated, but still one of my favorite lesser known songs from the 80s. Kenny Loggins "Playing With The Boys":



Not only one of the best ballads of the 80s, one of the best ballads ever. Berlin's "Take My Breath Away".



"Footloose" Movie Preview:



It does seem that Kenny Loggins became the king of 80's movie songs. You can't go wrong with Loggins highly infectious "Footloose":



Who can forget one of the most joyous songs ever, Denise Williams "Let's Hear It Boy":



Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero":



One great thing about 80's music is that they sure knew how to write the great love ballad. This is one of the many great ones. Mike Reno's and Ann Wilson's "Almost Paradise":



And I'm not sure what was the best 80's soundtrack. It was either "Pretty In Pink" or "Purple Rain". I'll present songs from each and you can decide. I love every song on "Pretty In Pink", but I'm not going to put them all here. Check out the full soundtrack on Spotify.

Oh boy did I have a big time crush on the lovely Molly Ringwald. I also much preferred the old movie trailers, they were about 90 seconds or less. Now with the 150 second trailers they just give away too much of the story. When I go see a movie now I already know so many plot points and have seen the funny parts already. It makes for a lesser movie going experience. The things we don't know about a movie is what makes it great.

"Pretty In Pink" trailer:



Psychedelic Furs "Pretty In Pink":



Echo and the Moneymen "Bring On The Dancing Horses":



When the Smiths were still together I didn't appreciate them, now I love the Smiths. This was probably my first experience with a Smiths song. "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time":



Jesse Johnson's "Get To Know Ya":



Belouis Some's "Round, Round":



New Order weren't one of the bigger bands of the 80's, however they had several good songs. Some of their other songs were "Bizarre Love Triangle" and "Blue Monday". This is "Shell Shock":



Then of course probably the most famous song from this movie, OMD's "If You Leave":



I'd thought that Prince had finally loosened his rein on his songs being available on youtube.com. From trying to find songs for this blog, I realized he hasn't eased restrictions for his music on the internet much after all. Prince you are an idiot for not allowing your music on the internet. I couldn't find videos for "Baby I'm A Star", "When Doves Cry" or "Let's Go Crazy".

"Purple Rain" trailer:



"Purple Rain" song:



Janelle Monae's "Take Me With You":



Rihanna's "Darling Nikki":



Nico's Gun "Computer Blue":



See Prince maybe you should allow your music on youtube and not be such a greedy d bag. Maybe someone could remind Prince, that other than 80's stations, they don't play his music on the radio any more.

"Vision Quest" is a movie that sadly has been forgotten. I would highly reccommend you check it out. It is themusicaddict approved. It stars Matthew Modine and lovely Linda Fiorentino. There are also many excellent songs in this movie.

The "Vision Quest" trailer:



Red Rider's (no, they won't shoot your eye out) "Lunatic Fringe":



Sammy Hagar's "I'll Fall In Love Again":



Another one of those amazing 80's killer ballads, this is Madonna's "Crazy For You":



"The Breakfast Club" trailer:



Simple Minds "Don't You Forget About Me":



Another great 80's movie is "Back To The Future",  a movie that still holds up. It's trailer:



"The Power Of Love":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites