Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Best Songs The 80's Has To Offer: My Brother (Updated 2/11/13)

Hello,

These are songs that I probably only enjoyed, or maybe even knew about, because of my brother constantly playing them. I'm not sure where he heard all these great songs. Was it through his friends, was it through KCGL, if not where did he hear all these great songs?

Many songs I probably wouldn't have got into unless I heard my brother playing them a bunch of times. This is one of those songs, Oingo Boingo's "Weird Science":



One of the musicians that my brother got into was Terence Trent D'arby. He ended up being a flash in the pan, but he left behind two great songs. The first is "Sign Your Name":



The sumptious "Wishing Well":



 He was also into Neneh Cherry, "Buffalo Stance":



"Kisses On The Wind":



"Outre Risque Locomotive": (just a snippet unfortunately)



Just a couple of years after breaking big, the boys of Milli Vanilli were found to be a fake band. That being said this CD still has some of my favorite songs ever. For instance, "Blame It On The Rain":



and "Girl You Know It's True":



"Girl, I'm Gonna Miss You":



I remember one bald female singer that he liked, it was someone who had just released her debut CD. Now that I look back, I see how much of a classic "The Lion and the Cobra" is, but I didn't get it then. Just a few years later this bald went on to have her biggest hit "Nothing Compares To U". Of course I'm talking about the great Sinead O'Conner.

I have no idea how many times I heard "like a phoenix from the flames" coming out of my brother's bedroom. Here's O'Connor very raw take of "Troy":



Other great songs from "The Lion and The Cobra" include "Just Like U Said It Would B":



"Mandinka":



"I Want Your (Hands On Me)": (Sorry for the lame MC Lyte rapping, I'd never heard this song with her rapping before.)



And anytime I write about Miss O'Connor, I have to include her very cathartic divorce song. If divorce had a theme song, this would be it. Which version do you like best? "The Last Day of Our Acquaintance":



A different live version?:



Or the original studio version?:



A couple more quick songs, Jane Child's "Don't Wanna Fall In Love":



Finally one of those weird bands that was heard on KCGL and blasting out of his bedroom. This is some of the best songs of The Thompson Twins. All these songs are on their classic "Into The Gap" CD. Starting with what may be my favorite Thompson Twins song "You Take Me Up":



"Into The Gap":



"Hold Me Now":



"Doctor Doctor":



themusicaddict

1 comment:

Justin M said...

You are welcome :)

The Milli Vanilli CD is still great.

Favorites