Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dwight Howard Has Self-Awareness? Who Knew?, Cowboys Continue To Delude Themselves

Hello,

I didn't know that Dwight Howard had any kind of self awareness, but it seem that he does.

From an interview he had with ESPN yesterday afternoon, Howard said:

"You've got to have energy and I want to bring that energy every night. That's my job. They count on me to be that guy. I just know how much more effective I will be when I'm in better shape. And, unfortunately, it's cost us a lot of games."

Now lets see how long it is for the horrific free throw shooter admits to how many games the Lakers have lost because of that. At this point of the season Howard is shooting .493 from the line.

I also love that Kobe Bryant guaranteed that the Lakers would be making the playoffs. Steve Nash, Mike D'Antoni and Howard also stood behind Bryant's guarantee. Well of course they did, what are they going to do disagree? Also I want to know why people are always quoting what Howard has to say. He's probably one of the least interesting current NBA players. When he writes his autobiography, as he inevitably will, it should be titled "Smoke and Mirrors".

Currently the Lakers are in 9th place in the Western Conference. Who are they going to catch to make their way into the playoffs? They are 3 games behind the Rockets, who are playing great, and 4 games behind the Jazz. Will the Lakers catch either one of those teams? It's possible but I don't know how likely it is. Also as I'm writing this the Lakers are about to play the Mavericks in Dallas. If Dallas wins that game they'll be virtually tied with the Lakers for 9th place in the Western Conference. Bryan't guarantee looks more and more shaky. Even if the Lakers do somehow crawl into the playoffs they'll get eliminated in the first round.

But my favorite news coming out of Lakers land this week is when Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak called Howard the Lakers "future". It's a sign of how effective the smoke and mirrors are that surround Howard in LA. Howard agreed with Kupchak that he's the future of the Lakers. Really? That makes me laugh. Why would you want to build a team around a player who's a terrible foul shooter, that's all about himself and who whines every year about where he's going to play? There's no guarantee that Howard will even sign with the Lakers in the offseason. I'm sure Howard will stretch out where he's going to play next season as long as he can. In and ESPN.com poll 74% of participants thought that the Lakers should have traded Howard, I shared the majority's viewpoint.

Also Kupchak insists they'll continue to stick with D'Antoni. As a Lakers hater I love the blindness of Kupchak.

Also the Knicks are coming back to reality. After a blistering start, they have now lost 4 straight games. Two of those games were very ugly, including their 125-91 beat down at the hands of the Pacers. Currently the Knicks are in third place in the Eastern Conference, if the playoffs started today they'd play the very hard nosed Chicago Bulls. Of course the playoffs aren't starting today, which may even be worse news for the team playing the Bulls in the playoffs. Derrick Rose might be back by the actual playoffs.

The Lakers play the Andrew Bynum 76ers today, let's hope for the Knicks fifth straight loss.

Every time I hear something new from the Cowboys, it just causes me to shake my head even more. I continue finding myself pulling away from the franchise that I've loved my entire football life. The ineptness and self-delusion coming out of Dallas is now reaching even more epic proportions. I can see that one day I'll stop following the Cowboys altogether, especially if a Jones continues to be an owner. Lately when I do watch the Cowboys play, it's mostly hate watching. Any team that sticks with the ineffective Jason Garrett and Tony Romo I wonder how many other stupid ideas do they have up their sleeves. At least before the end of the next season Garrett and his "process" will be fired. The only question is when?

Just one more quick comment about the inept Dallas Cowboys. It seems Stephen Jones is learning how to blow smoke up people's butts as well. Of course he learned from the best, his Dad Jerry. Prepare to have smoke blown up your butt:

“We just believe it’s going to happen,” Stephen Jones said. “Some guys it happens later in their careers; look at (Brett) Favre and (John) Elway. Some guys it’s happened earlier. We just believe that we can win a championship with him. I think his numbers speak for themselves. Obviously there’s things we have to continue to improve upon as far as putting the right pieces around him, then there’s things obviously in his game he can continue to improve on. He’s a young 33 because he didn’t play his first three, four years.”

Well geez Stephen I believed it was going to happen too until he completely choked so many times. I also agree with Jones that Romo's "numbers speak for themselves". The Cowboys have a .500 record over the last two seasons and Romo is 1-6 in win or go home games. Also the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 1 of the last 5 years. I realize that Jones is talking about Romo's great regular season individual numbers, but honestly who cares about those as a fan? Those numbers mean little if the Cowboys can't even make the playoffs.

Mark it right here the Cowboys will never win a Super Bowl with Tony Romo as quarterback. Also the Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl as long as they Jerry Jones or any kin of his as their key decision maker. I do give a 1% chance to them winning the Super Bowl if the players can figure out a way to win in spite of Jones' idiocy.

Stephen Jones is right they need to put the right pieces around Romo. First and foremost an effective offensive line. However that's been known for a few years now, why have the Cowboys done so little to this point. I also agree that there are things that Romo can improve on. Things like winning in the clutch and not throwing the ball to the wrong team. Someone also needs to explain to Romo how helpful it is to throw the ball away sometimes. Finally Romo is a "young 33" because he didn't play the first 3 or 4 years of his career. I love that Jones can find a positive in the fact that Romo couldn't beat out the very slow Drew Bledsoe to be the starting qb for the Cowboys.

As Bill Simmons would sarcastically say, "When you can pay $16 million a season for a quarterback who has only won one playoff game, you got to take that deal."

I continue to find myself saying more and more, "Go 49ers!"

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites