Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Best Music The 80's Has To Offer! My Life (Updated 2/7/13)

Hello,

Oh boy do I have a lot of thoughts about the Lakers, the 49ers and many other things. However today I feel like posing a bunch of my favorite 80's songs. My playlist today first was Olivia Newton-John and then it moved to Tears For Fears. My drive music of late has been the non-80's "Pretty Hate Machine". I've posted the best of the 80's kind of posts before, but I want to do another one. I hope you enjoy it, I know I'll enjoy making it. Let the memories begin.

If some of these songs are from the late 70's or early 90's, forgive me.

The great thing about 80's music is that it's the same decade for both Guns N' Roses, Terence Trent D'Arby, Neneh Cherry and A Flock of Seagulls. The music was so electic. All genres of music were represented well on MTV and other places. The 80's was a time of a musical renaissance, sadly music has deteriorated since then. Music sadly has degraded to the mostly mediocre mix we have now.

I'm also feeling a bit nostalgic so I'll be attaching some personal thoughts to some of these songs. I'm trying to keep this in a mostly chronological order.

High School:

A song that reminds me of my first high school stomp, Missing Persons "Words":



This song reminds me my first job, working as a bagger at Safeways. 18 months where I finally began to grow up. My eyes were opened by a lot of things while working in downtown Salt Lake. This song was really big at the time and it was always on the radio. One of the best songs ever written, Prince's "When Doves Cry" (I'm not sure how long this video will stay on youtube.com though):



I graduated high school and for some reason decided to go to school to Ricks College. It's now called BYU-I and is in Rexburg, Idaho. It's one of the coldest places I've ever been. Looking back now I've no idea why I decided to go there. However although I was miserable and homesick, it was what I needed to do in order to leave the nest for two years. These are songs that remind me of my time at Ricks, all songs weren't released necessarily during my time there.

At the school's bookstore I was looking through their music and I was surprised to come across "British Steel"for sale. "United" has always been my favorite Judas Priest song:



Playing tennis before or after the cold hit a jeep drove by with the radio blaring. It was a Loverboy song, it was either:



or this extremely cheesy video:



I first heard this song on a boring weekday afternoon and didn't quite know what to think:



These were three of the biggest songs before I went on my LDS mission summer 1986-summer 1988 (which btw was one of the best things I've ever done.)



David Lee Roth's "Just Like Paradise":



With backing vocals from Bryan Adams, this is Glass Tiger.



I got home July 1988, in August 1988 I started working at Dicks Market in Centerville, Utah. I ended up working there for 17.5 years. My 80's ended with me working at Dicks, living at home and looking for my future wife. Thinking about it now, both my job and marriage lasted about 17 years.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites