Friday, April 5, 2013

Was 1985 The Best Year For Music 1?: The Happy, Energetic Songs

Hello,

I posted the other day about a Salt Lake Radio station focus group I participated in. I related a lot of my frustrations with terrestial radio. Sometimes I listen to Sports Talk radio, where they are suppose to talk a lot. But when I'm listening to music radio, the only thing I want to hear is music. I don't want to hear contests, commercials, DJs etc at all. And once any of those things come on I usually change the station or listen to a CD.

That being said, there's one thing I like that I hear on local radio. That is Rock 103's "10 at 10:00". They take a specific year and tell about events that happened that year and then play 10 songs from that year. Thursday's "10 at 10:00" was for the amazing year of 1985. Pretty much any year in the 80's has a bunch of great music, but 1985 seems to stand out.

If you sit down and look at a list of songs from a particular year, there will probably be a few that stand out. So while these blog(s) will feature many of those songs, I won't let that define the songs on this blog. I spent some time researching the songs of 1985, this will be a cross section of music from all genres. Here are some of the best songs of that year:

Dire Straits, with Sting on backup vocals, "Money For Nothing":



From one of the best songs ever to perhaps the best video ever, this is a-ha's "Take On Me". This is also an amazing song.



I suggest that Y & T's "Summertime Girls" is one of the most joyous songs of all-time:



Here's a couple of 1985 classics from Tears For Fears, first up is "Shout":



"Everybody Wants To Rule The World":



This is also a joyous song. From one of the best movies of 1985 "Back To The Future", this is one of the best songs of 1985. Huey Lewis and the News' "The Power of Love":



A song that is a bit outside of the box and for some reason people make fun of it. Do they make fun of it because it's outside the box? I'm not sure, all I know is Starship's "We Built This City" is a great song. I love that Grace Slick still sings along with the Mickey Thomas part, although she must have performed it hundreds of times by this performance.



In case you were wondering this song is from "Vision Quest". This is one of Madonna's best songs ever came out in 1985, "Crazy For You":



The Time's "Jungle Love":



I don't say this sarcastically or ironically, this is the great Lionel Richie with "Say You, Say Me":



There was no shame in the 80s, just great music. Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy":



I have no idea what Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" is about:



"Summer of '69":



this is just a taste of what's to come, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites