Saturday, April 20, 2013

Knicks Basketball = Ugly: Ugly Win, Ugly Offense and Carmelo's Ugly, Ridiculous Mustache

Hello,

I was flipping through the dictionary today and I stumbled across the word ugly. I was surprised to see the 2013 Knicks team photo. But it can't be denied, nearly everything about the Knicks is ugly. Here's just a few ugly things I noticed today while watching the Knicks first playoff game against the Celtics:

1) Their offense is ugly, the Knicks stand around and wait for Carmelo Anthony to shoot the ball. Do they call that offense the stand and chuck. Anthony was "on fire" today, he made 13 of 29 shots. That's almost 45%, which is in line with his season shooting percentage. I love how people say he's a great shooter. For every field goal and free throw a person shoots, he should average at least a point per shot. Anthony shot 29 field goals and 6 free throws as he scored 36 points in the game. Anthony scored 1 point more than his combined 35 shots. I'm glad it's a team I don't like who's putting their fate in the hands of Anthony.

I laughed that Anthony's FIRST assist came with about a minute left in the game. That play describes Anthony's one-dimensional game perfectly. It seems the Celtics defense forgot that Anthony does occasionally pass. I certainly understand how the Celtics could forget that though.

Carmelo is also the owner of one of the most preposterously ugly mustaches in the NBA. Um, why hasn't anyone talked to him about that? Anthony finished with 6 rebounds, 3 turnovers and that rare assist. He also virtually played no defense. I just don't get why people are so enthralled with the NBA's most overpaid player. (Tom Van Riper's article in Forbes magazine.)

2) This is where I would mock the Knicks defense in the first half of the game, but I can't mock what they didn't do. They played a much more literally hands on/ mugging defense in the second half.

3) Iman Shumpert's ugly Kid N' Play hair. Does he and Anthony get hair advice from the same person?

4) Those clothes that Spike Lee was wearing today. I'm so glad some of his movies are better than his sartorial choices.

5) Their heavily tattoo'd team, especially J.R. Smith's near full body series of tattoos. I could care less if people get tattoos, but I don't understand the attraction to them. They certainly aren't attractive to look at.

6) Eastern Conference basketball, especially in the playoffs, is ugly. That is except for the Heat, they are a joy to watch. They have a more balanced attack that spreads the ball and is more more enjoyable to the eye. (By the way I'm glad the Heat have ignored Brandon Jennings comments, of course why would they pay attention to Jennings? The Heat were already going to sweep the Bucks, but now that series might be even uglier.)

I'll give credit to the Knicks as they did pull out the ugly victory 85-78. Game 2 is Tuesday night back at MSG.

Also I really like the Knicks coach, Mike Woodson. He seems like a very classy guy and I love that he is rarely demonstrative on the sidelines. At first I wasn't sure why the Knicks hired him, but that's been one of their best decisions in the last several years. Not that they've made a lot of great decisions.

One side note: I wish Jeff Van Gundy could call every NBA game. The man is hilarious and cracks me up. He's not one of those bland announcers that speaks in corporate Americaese. He actually has strong opinions and stands by them. For instance, when Mike Breen asked him if anybody could beat the Heat in the Eastern Conference. Without any bull, Van Gundy simply said "no". Of course unless you are completely blind, that's exceedingly obvious. But I'm glad he stated the obvious and didn't try to finesse it like I'm sure his corporate overlords want him too.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites