Thursday, April 4, 2013

2013 Dodgers Daily, April 4th Beckett's Brutal Day, How Bad Was The Red Sox Trade For The Dodgers?

Hello,

I continue to be nervous about the big Red Sox-Dodgers trade last season. I have to admit at first I was excited with all those big names coming to LA. However like a bad one night stand the regret is starting to catch up to me. I'm wondering what did the Dodgers will end up getting out of that trade besides an even more preposterous payroll? Are the Dodgers privately having buyer's remorse? I know they'd never admit that publicly, but it does make me wonder. If nothing else I hope the Dodgers learn this lesson: just because they have the money to make a move doesn't mean they should. (Oh crap they signed Zack Greinke after that trade.)

This season has only been three days so I'm not going to panic, but I'm still a little nervous.

Breaking down the trade a bit. The Dodgers received 4 players from Boston. LA received pitcher Josh Beckett, whose being paid $17 million this season. In what I feel will be a typical game for Beckett this season, he pitched 6 innings and gave up 6 hits. He also gave up 5 runs, although only 3 of the runs were earned. Beckett also gave up two home runs. (Sidenote: How is that the Dodgers have a payroll over $200 million this season but still have players like Skip Schumaker and Justin Sellers making starts? It was Schumaker's error that lead to the Giants big inning.)

They also received Adrian Gonzalez, whose being paid $21.8 million this season. Like Beckett, Gonzalez is off to a brutal start (it's only 3 days, take a deep breath) as he's hitting 1 for  9. For those of you keeping track at home, that's a .111 batting average. He's only a measly single away from being completely hitless.

LA also picked up Carl Crawford, whose being paid $20.8 million this season. Crawford is actually doing pretty well so far. He's 5 for 9, which is a sizzling .556 batting average. He's also had one extra base hit. Obviously Crawford won't be able to keep up that hot start. However the thing that concerns me the most about Crawford is how fragile he is. He missed a lot of games in his two seasons in Boston and is coming off Tommy John surgery. Being injury prone and his ridiculous salary were two of the main reasons Boston was glad to dump Crawford.

Nick Punto, whose being paid $1.5 million this season, is a smaller piece to make the trade more marketable. Punto was only brought over to be a part-time player. In fact I sort of expected Punto to not be back with the Dodgers this season. Punto has a single so far in his two at bats.

The Red Sox also sent over about $12,000,000 in the trade.

In the trade the Red Sox received James Loney, whose no longer with the team. Boston also received hot shot pitching prospect Rubby De La Rosa and pitcher Allen Webster. Both of those players are with Triple-A Red Sox affiliate, Pawtucket. Boston also received outfielder Jerry Sands and infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr. Later both were traded to the Pirates. The Pirates received those two players, Mark Melancon and Stolmy Pimentel (that's the name of the day) for closer Joel Hanrahan. Hanrahan has pitched in both of the Red Sox wins so far and has a save to his name. (I love that the Red Sox have beaten the evil empire twice in Yankees Stadium. If I remember correctly that's the first time New York have lost their first two games at home since 1982. I'm hoping for the Red Sox to complete a sweep today.)

The Dodgers are now 1-2 and tied for 4th place in the NL West with San Diego. What's next for the Dodgers? Thursday is a day off for the Dodgers. They welcome the Pirates, who are also 1-2, to LA for a 3 game series. Friday's matchup will be the expensive Greinke vs. the inconsistent Jonathan Sanchez (1,375,000).

I realize I throw the millions of dollars in salary around like it doesn't mean much or isn't that big of deal. However that's not how I mean it. I can't get my mind around someone being paid $21,000,000 a season. Even being paid $1,375,000 is unbelievable. Heck I'd love to make $50,000 a year!

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites