Sunday, August 18, 2013

Dodgers Daily, August 18th, 2013: Dodgers Lose, Dodgers Lose I Can't Believe The Dodgers Lost.

Hello,

Sunday was the final game in the 3 game series between the Dodgers and the Phillies, LA had won the first two games and shut out the Phillies in both. On Sunday the Dodgers jumped out to a 2-0 lead and I thought they had the game in the bag. Yes, that's how much confidence I have in the Dodgers of late. Who can blame me after they won 10 in a row and 42 0f 50? The Dodgers are hot and playing at a high level. I won't call this LA team a team of destiny yet, but there certainly is some magic working in their favor.

I was surprised when I got home from church today and found out they had lost 3-2, in fact I was very surprised. Being a completely normal fan I started worrying that this could be when the Dodgers go back to playing like crap. I'm comforted though that they will be playing MLB's lowest scoring team over the next 4 days. LA will be playing the Marlins, who've scored all of 396 runs. They are the only team in MLB to not have broken the 400 run mark. They have scored 64 runs fewer than the 29th lowest scoring team, the White Sox.

For the first few innings I thought that Andre Ethier was going to be the player of the game. In the second inning he hit his 9th home run of the season. That gives the struggling slugger, hitting .270 this season, his 44th RBI of the season. Ethier has been playing better of late, he's no longer hitting in the .250s. In the 4th inning Jerry Hairston Jr. drove in Ethier for his second run of the game. Sadly that was the final score of the game for the Dodgers.

Philadelphia scored the next 3 runs to win the game. Hanley Ramirez is the goat of the day, I'm going to give him a pass though. Sure he committed 2 errors in the 9th inning, but without his high level of play I'd hate to see where the Dodgers would be. He and Yasiel Puig have been the catalyst for this historic Dodgers run. (I love Puig's aggression I just wish he would be more careful running the bases.)

Brandon League ended with the loss. He's not my favorite Dodgers player but no one can blame him for the loss. He got the hitters to hit the ball to the infielder and sadly Ramirez fumbled the play. I won't torture myself thinking if Don Mattingly had put in more of a strikeout pitcher (Kenley Jansen!) into the game then possibly Ramirez wouldn't have booted the ball.

But I'm not going to complain, it's a great time to be a Dodgers fan. Thanks to the Dodgers for all the great memories this season and here's to many more. And if nothing else, thankfully the team is owned by someone who knows what they are doing once again.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites