Wednesday, August 21, 2013

themusicaddict's 80's Mystery Songs, Which Genre Are These Songs?

Hello,

I decided to break down my Mega 80's music blog into several different categories, I won't be changing my original Mega 80's music blog. I'll be taking the same categories and expanding on each theme and I'll also be adding new categories. For instance how did I miss the music of 80's music? I enjoy making these kind of blogs and I hope you enjoy them to. As always I welcome all comments, both negative and positive. All you have to do is to leave a comment and I see it almost immediately.

The next 80's music category is songs with hard to label genres. Some songs are clearly pop songs and some songs are clearly rock songs, but what are these songs? I added the videos in hopes people can watch those videos on this blog. However if you can't, please enjoy on Youtube, MTV.com or wherever else you can. It would be a shame not to enjoy the greatest music of all-time. Some of these songs may not have been released in the 80s, but they have an 80s feel so I've included them.

I hate the need by music companies to label everything and confine a band to a certain genre and then usually into a niche into that genre. What category do these songs fit in? I have no idea and isn't it nice to have a sound that breaks a few rules? As long as the music is good lets just enjoy. Also I'm sure you have noticed by now, a song can make many 80s music lists. 80s music was very diverse, which is one of the things that makes it the greatest music of all-time.

That's my hope with this blog, that it never fits into a niche. Is it a sports blog? Is it an 80s blog? Is it an 80s music blog?? Is it a current music blog? The answer to all those questions is a resounding yes.

Is "Black Velvet" rock or pop? I pick choice 3, it's neither and that's one thing that makes the song so great. How about a little "Black Velvet" for your day? Here's Alannah Myles with some black velvet:



Again who cares what genre this song is. It's a great song, let's just enjoy it. Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians "What I Am":



Most people would say this is a New Wave song and indeed it was played on New Wave stations. I know that New Wave is about being on the fringe, but to me this is even a bit on the fringe to fit comfortably with other New Wave bands. Information Society's "Pure Energy":



Hayzi Fantayzee's "Shiny, Shiny" (Why did they make that poor girl wear such an ugly "outfit"?



Obviously this song harks back to a previous era, but what era exactly? Who cares, let's dance. Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen":



This song could be any number of genres or none of them. Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game":



Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes";



Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch's "Good Vibrations":



I love this song so much, Mariah Carey's "Vision of Love":



Starship's "We Built This City":



Nu Shooz "I Can't Wait":



For those that prefer the original and much better version of "I Can't Wait":



What a great song! Toto's "Africa":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites