Wednesday, August 14, 2013

themusicaddict's Best Of Retro 80's Music

Hello,

My next 80's music category is amazing retro songs. These are songs that hearken back to a seemingly more innocent time, although not always the case. These are older songs that were remade like Taco's "Puttin On The Ritz". Either that or new songs that had a vintage feel, songs like George Michael's "Kissing A Fool". Retro 80's music, what I mean by that is 80s musicians turning to previous eras for inspiration. (What I don't mean is current musicians stealing music directly from 80s artists, aka how Flo Rida has a career.)

Some of these songs come from my original Mega 80's music blog and as time is available I'll continue to add more here. I do what I can to make sure these videos play on my blog. However if they don't, please enjoy on Youtube, MTV.com or wherever else you can. You don't want to miss out on some of the greatest music ever, do you? Thanks as always to Youtube and those that load the videos to that site. I love seeing all these great old videos again.

Taco's "Puttin On The Ritz":



George Michael's "Kissing A Fool":



The only thing that can be said about this song and Ms. Carey's voice is "Wow". "Vision of Love", her first hit showed America what an amazing singer she is. There were some damn good singers in the 80s.



I'd like to take a break from this blog for a moment, here are three Tommy James and The Shondells that were made into very memorable 80's songs.

First up is Joan Jett and the Blackheart's "Crimson and Clover":



You have to understand the 80's and the show "Solid Gold" to understand this bizarre performance. Clearly Idol is lip synching and you can see Billy thinking to himself, "Why do I have to deal with all this bullshit?" Idol's "Mony Mony":



And we can't forget Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now":



The Beatlesish "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" by Tears For Fears:



The Honeydrippers "Sea of Love", lead of course by the great Robert Plant:



They Might Be Giant's "Istanbul Not Constantinople":



The Blues Brothers "Gimme Some Lovin'" (some comedy relief first):



Here's the actual song:



Los Lobos "La Bamba":



Am I the only one that thinks this song has a retro feel to it? Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of The Heart":



Traveling Wilbury's "Handle With Care":



Murray Head's "One Night In Bangkok":



The Power Station "Some Like It Hot":



I'm stealing this from the 70s, so sue me. This song just perfectly fits into a retro theme. This version is much better than Madonna's version. Don McLean's "America Pie":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites