Tuesday, August 6, 2013

themusicaddict's Greatest CDs of All-Time: Aldo Nova's Self-Titled CD

Hello,

Released in 1982 was Aldo Nova's self-titled CD, a CD that quickly brought attention to itself with the amazing rock classic "Fantasy". Sometime after seeing "Fantasy" video I bought the actual record, over the years I added the CD to my collection. I still had fond memories of the CD, that is when I thought of it. However I usually only thought of "Aldo Nova" when a song from it would play randomly on my iTunes. The other day I stumbled on this CD on Spotify and I honestly was expecting it to sound dated.

The CD "Aldo Nova" is 31 years old. Also it's not only from the 80s, but it's from the early 80s. Some influence from the 70s could work it's way into the record, although I don't hear that. A lot of 80s music sounds dated now, especially the cheesy synth music that dominated 80s movie's soundtracks. (Despite bring from the 80s, Prince's "Purple Rain" won't sound dated for a long time. That easily is one of the best CDs of all-time, although I'm still perplexed Prince refuses to allow his music to be on Youtube.) Surprisingly this CD didn't sound dated at all, although the videos are definitely dated.

If you were unsure what era this CD was from, all you have to do is to see what Nova is wearing. The complete leopard print outfit clearly shows this is a product of the 80s. In doing a little research on this CD, I'm surprised "Fantasy" only reached number 23 on the Billboard charts. Of course this was a few years before Quiet Riot busted out and heavy medal exploded.

Here's the complete CD of Aldo Nova's self-titled CD for your listening pleasure:



If I remember right the video for "Fantasy" was very popular:



Although some people consider Nova a one hit wonder, and that may be technically true, he has many than just one great song. Here's the other 9 songs on his self-titled CD:

2) "Hot Love":



"Hot Love" and "Foolin' Yourself" live in 2011:



3) "It's Too Late":



4) "Ball and Chain":



5) "Heart To Heart":



6) "Foolin' Yourself":



7) "Under The Gun":



8)"You're My Love":



9)  "Can't Stop Lovin' You":



10) "See The Light": (I could only find one video for "See The Light" and it was some skanky looking dude with way too much confidence singing Karaoke.) Here's the Spotify link if you want to listen to the song.

https://play.spotify.com/track/3I8HmSfIQbScaE6Nkfwfet

What I don't understand is why Nova disappeared so quickly after the release of this great CD. "Aldo Nova" is a great CD and he released other great music over the years. According to Wikipedia.org his self-titled album reached Double Platinum sales. But that wasn't until 1994, 22 years after it was released. I've listened to some of Nova's other songs on Spotify and he has a lot of good music. Why has he disappeared? Nova is still in the music business writing songs for Celine Dion and Jon Bon Jovi.
(I wonder am I the only one that thinks his voice sometimes sounds like Jovi's voice?)

Usually these blogs are just about one specific CD, but I'd like to highlight some of Nova's many other great songs. Here's a random selection below:

"Monkey On Your Back:



"Blood On The Bricks" (live):



Here's the actual video (without people yelling in the background)



"Rumors of You":



"Hey Ronnie (Veronica's Song)":



"Cry Baby Cry":



"Always Be Mine":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites