Monday, August 12, 2013

themusicaddict's All 80's Music Blowout: You've Been Warned, Look At My Later Blogs For More 80s Music

Hello,

I desperately needed to go back to the roots of why I started writing this blog: because of my great love of music. I'll be adding songs throughout today for this blog. This specific blog is geared towards 80's music, but if it veers into late 70's or early 90s then so be it. That's the great thing about Rock & Roll, there are no rules. As always this blog will incorporate several genres. Enjoy!

I've broken these songs into various categories. I realize that some of these songs could be in multiple categories, but this is just an exercise in fun.

The first category is pure unadulterated no shame pop music:

A band that I've rediscovered the last few weeks is INXS. I hadn't realized how many great songs they have, here's one that's a bit off the beaten track.

"Heaven Sent":



Is this the perfect pop song, George Michael's "Faith":



Jellybean Benetiz (featuring Madonna) "Sidewalk Talk":



Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun":



Influential songs, videos, artists.

Public Enemy's "Bring The Noise":



The first video ever shown on MTV (back when MTV was relevant). The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star":



Madonna's "Express Yourself":



An incredibly creative video, A-ha's "Take On Me":



Talking Heads "Once In A Lifetime":



Run-D.M.C. and Aerosmith "Walk This Way":



Baby making music:

Perhaps the ultimate baby maker song, George Michael's "I Want Your Sex":



Alabama was the best country band of the 80s. Songs like "Feels So Right" are a great example of what some people call baby making music.



One of the 80s sexiest songs, Melissa Etheridge "I'm The Only One":



Madonna's "Justify My Love":



Heart's "All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You":



Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer":



Great soul and rap. I often make the joke that 80s music is so good, that even the rap was good.

Two words, Hammer pants:



Young MC's "Bust A Move":



Neneh Cherry "Kisses On The Wind":



One of the best rap songs of all-time, also one of the best songs ever, Run-D.M.C.'s "It's Tricky": (Warning: the "acting" isn't Oscar caliber.)



Bobby Brown "Every Little Step":



One of my favorite Tracy Chapman songs "For My Lover":



"Now That We Found Love"- Heavy D & The Boyz:



Snap's "The Power":



What category does these songs fit in? I have no idea. Who cares, enjoy anyway.

How about a little "Black Velvet" for your day? Here's Alannah Myles with some:



Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians "What I Am":



Information Society's "Pure Energy":



Crunchy rock and roll, 80's style:

Ministry's "New World Order":



Skid Row was known more for their self-titled first CD, but their follow up CD "Slave To The Grind" kicked some butt. This is "Slave To The Grind":



Twisted Sister wants to rock and I suggest you listen! "I Wanna Rock":



It ain't quite pop, it ain't quite rock, great 80s pop/rock:

Journey's "Rubicon" live in Japan 1983:



From one classic 80's rock band to another, this is Styx and "Mr. Roboto":



Bryan Adams was born in 1959, this song is figuratively about a specific summer of good memories or maybe it's just a song about the joys of summer. In the song Adams sings "Those were the best days of my life", which certainly is how I feel about the 80s. But I also agree with Adams when he sings "Ain't no use in complaining when you got a job to do". One of my all-time favorite 80's songs "Summer of '69":



Van Halen "Why Can't This Be Love":



Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home":



Heartbreaking songs:

Madonna's "The Power Of Goodbye":



Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin "Separate Lives":



REO Speedwagon's "One Lonely Night":



Poison's "Every Rose Has It's Thorn":



Retro 80's music, what I mean by that is 80s musicians turning to previous eras for inspiration. What I don't mean is current musicians stealing music directly from 80s artists, aka how Flo Rida has a career.)

Taco's "Puttin On The Ritz":



George Michael's "Father Figure":



Romantic 80s ballads:

Kenny Rogers "Through The Years":



Kenny Rogers "She Believes In Me":



Madonna's "Crazy For You":



I'm not a big fan of Aerosmith, in fact I think they are extremely overrated. However I cannot deny the greatness of this song, "Angel":



Dorky 80's songs, whether intentional or not:

Snow's "Informer":



Jump In The Saddle "Curly Shuffle":



Yes, someone actually wrote a song about the arcade game Pac Man, only the 80's. Buckner and Garcia's "Pac-Man Fever":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites