Tuesday, December 25, 2012

"Les Miserables" Revs Up But Never Quite Takes Off

Hello,

I need to state up front that I've been a fan of "Les Miserables" for several years. I've seen it on the theatre stage from high school to Broadway productions at least 7 or 8 times. I've listened to the songs on the 3 disc Original Broadway production dozens of times at least. Although I'm a uber-fan I went into the movie with a lot of trepidation. I'm used to Hollywood ruining things, like having Russell Crowe in a role that requires someone that can sing for instance.

To much hype and buzz "Les Miserables" arrived in theaters on Christmas Day. Sadly "Les Mis" is good, but not great. Hugh Jackman gives a good performance as Jean ValJean. I can see why Anne Hathaway is being mentioned for Oscar consideration. She's absolutely amazing as Fantine. Unlike some of the other actors, she brings power to the songs she sings. I wish the director, Tom Hooper, would have let the scenes build on each other, there's too much time between scenes. The movie never quite takes off. I love "Les Mis" but the last 10-15 minutes have always made the play feel a little long to me. I was hoping that Hooper would streamline the end a bit. 


This is one of the musical highlights of the movie. Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed A Dream" (sadly I couldn't find her singing the full version of this song):



Overall I'd give the movie a B, it's much better than the critics say. Most reviews have been unfairly harsh in regards to this movie, finding plot holes and commenting on how many close ups there were. Entertainment Weekly's review is especially harsh. The reviewer gives the movie a C, but read the review and you would guess his review would have been a F.

"Les Mis" has never been about the overall story, it's about the redemption of Jean ValJean. It's also about the music, some of the greatest music ever written. Speaking of which, here's "Suddenly" the new song written for this movie.




I also don't like that the movie took out part of "On Parole/The Bishop". The part after Valjean is captured after stealing the priest's silver. That's always been my favorite part of the whole play. I'm specifically talking about the part at about the 3:30 mark.

These are the referred to lyrics:

He let me eat my fill
I had the lion's share
The silver in my hand
Cost twice what I had earned
In all those nineteen years
That lifetime of despair
And yet he trusted me.
The old fool trusted me -
He's done his bit of good
I played the grateful serf
And thanked him like I should
But when the house was still,
I got up in the night
Took the silver
Took my flight! 



Isabelle Allen does a good job in limited time on screen. For being so young she has such a great voice on "Castle On A Cloud":



Crowe was obviously cast using the corporate America casting model. Meaning he was cast because of who he is, not because of his voice. There's nothing wrong with his acting, but every time he sings the movie screeches to a halt. What's suppose to be Javert's show stopper is the song "Stars", however in Crowe's hands it's a hot mess. Crowe is terribly miscast as Javert, the person in that role needs to have an amazing voice. He's not that good of a singer. Years from now when people talk about "Les Mis", I predict many of those will be mocking Crowe's performance. 

Why couldn't have Norm Lewis been cast as Javert? This is how "Stars" should sound:



Another miscast actor and not a great singer is Sasha Baron Cohen. Every time Cohen comes on screen I see Borat. Like with the Borat character, Cohen overplays Thenadier. Helena Bonham Carter does a much better as Mademoiselle Thenadier. The Thenadiers seem so vital on the stage, however in the movie they feel extraneous. I also don't like how "Master Of The House" has been neutered. 

As I write this blog I'm listening to the movie's highlights soundtrack. I realize how much the movie soundtrack is neutered. Hooper took some of the greatest songs ever and stripped them of some of their soul and power. However Eddie Redmayne sings "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" with great power, he completely owns that song. His performance of that song has made that song so much more vital. Samantha Barks also does a great job singing "On My Own". 

And how is this song not on the so-called highlights "Les Mis" movie edition? This is "Do You Hear People Sing?":



Also how is this song not on the highlights? "Who Am I" is perhaps the most powerful moment in "Les Mis". Jean Valjean acknowledges to himself just who he is and what he represents.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites