Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Top Ten All-Time American Idols, #6 David Cook and Season 7

Hello,

With so many things happening that I want to blog about, I let my Top Ten All-Time "American Idol" countdown suffer a bit. My last "AI" Top Ten blog was about Jordin Sparks, which I published on October 22nd of this year. I have to admit when I started listening to Sparks' music while writing the blog about her, I almost moved her to #6. David Cook is one of only two men who are on this list.

Season 7 was the last season where Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson were the only judges. In Season 8, "American Idol" introduced Kara DioGuardi, she turned out to be a complete and utter disaster as a judge. Season 8 also started what has become a merry-go-round of bad judges. It's a judging panel that still somehow includes Randy Jackson for Season 12. (Fingers crossed Season 12 will be the last season for this show.)

Anyway back to Season 7 of "American Idol". Season 7 was the first season that contestants were allowed to play musical instruments.

As I'm counting down my top ten list I also like to write a bit about the season that specific contestant competed on. David Cook was the winner of Season 7 of "American Idol". The rest of the Top 9 are:

2) David Archuleta: I thought he was horrible and never understood all the hype he received. It's not a shock to me that he never turned into a star. Archuleta is currently serving a LDS Mission. However he did record new music before he went on his mission. You can still buy his new music while he's away. Don't you feel so lucky?

3) Syesha Mercado: sadly she was lost in the quality of Cook and the hype of Archuleta. She hasn't became a big star, although if I remember right she has appeared on Broadway. With Broadway now becoming a pathway to more mainstream media, things could be a lot worse for Mercado. Although she never hit the big time, she still nearly made my all-time Top Ten list. Yes, I like her that much.

4) Jason Castro: frankly he rode one brilliant performance to 4th place. Other than I know he got married a year or two ago, I haven't heard a thing about him. But he did have this magnificent moment:



5) Brooke White: let's see other than Facebook suggesting I try to friend her, I have no idea what she's doing.

6) Carly Smithson: I know she had hooked up with a band for awhile. I believe their name is We Are Fallen or something like that. They were very much trying to be an Evanescence like band. I'm not sure if the band is even still active. If I had a Top 20 list, Carly would probably be on that list.

7) Kristy Lee Cook: um she was at least cute. She also released "Like My Mother Does" before Lauren Alaina did. I've never heard Cook's version, but Alaina's version is amazing.

8) Michael Johns: Remember when he was shocked that he was eliminated?

9) Ramiele Malubay: I know a lot of people didn't like her. However she had two of my favorite performances of the season.

I loved her performance of "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me":



But I especially loved her amazing take on "Against All Odds". Of course it doesn't hurt that this is an amazing song. Listen to her voice caress the notes at the start of this song, it's spine tingling. I also love when the drums come in about halfway through the song. I listened to this song several times today.



Yes, I'm purposefully saving you from the pre and post song segments on these videos from "AI".

Here's his audition:



Here are some of my favorite David Cook songs. Rarely would I say that a person was born to sing a song. However this time is one of those rare exceptions, Cook is simply amazing with this song. This is my favorite of his "AI" performances:



The very scruffy, Shaggy Doo David Cook sang this song fairly early in the season. Then the stylists got to work on him. His voice is a pretty good match for the Turtles classic as well:



I know that a lot of people like his version of "Billie Jean", but I can't say I'm one of those:



I'm not a Beatles fan, but I love Cook's take on this song. His voice sounds so good here:



I also like his take on "Daytripper":



Now here are a few of his post-"Idol" efforts, this is "Light On":



"Come Back To Me":



"I Did It For You" (live):



Here's one of the better songs from his most recent CD "This Loud Morning". This song is "Fade Into Me":



Next up, eventually, on my Top Ten countdown is one of the best voices ever on "American Idol"

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites