Monday, December 31, 2012

NFL Black Monday (Updated 1/1/13)

Hello,

Today is so-called Black Monday in the NFL. It's the day after the regular season ends and most of the teams that didn't make the playoffs look to make changes. Already Norv Turner and Andy Reid have been fired- or at least are on their way to being fired. (Reid appears to be the front runner to land the Arizona Cardinals job. Some Cowboys fans hope that Turner ends up in Dallas as the Cowboys OC.) I have no idea why either coach was brought back this season. It was clear that both coaches weren't the right fit for their teams after the 2011 season. Other people fired include Chan Gailey, (I have no idea why he was even hired by the Bills at all) Lovie Smith and Romeo Crennel. That's six coaches that have been fired and later a 7th head coach was fired. Also there were several GMs that were fired.

One GM not getting fired is Cowboys GM Jerry Jones. It's good to be the owner, especially since that's the only way he could keep the GM job. "Idiot" Jones will remain GM and Jason Garrett will remain the head coach. And Dallas will remain a mediocre team. Garrett and Gailey are two of the terrible horrible coaches Jones has hired over the years. The Cowboys perfectly resemble's Einstein's famous quote about insanity. He stated that insanity was doing the same things but expecting the same results. Jones has hired a series of bad coaches and they've been mediocre for the last 18 years.

Many people are pointing the finger at Tony Romo for yet another loss in a play or go home game. He's now 1-6 in those type of games. However I've softened on Romo over the years. Do I think he'll get the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory, hell no. But is he better than 3/4ths of the other quarterbacks in the NFL? Yes!

I'd so much rather have Romo than the prima donnas Scam Newton and Jay Cutler. It's no coincidence those two quarterbacks aren't in the playoffs either. Although I hope that Dallas lets Romo play out the final year of his contract before resigning him. Let's see what kind of market value he has before Dallas starts throwing money at him.

The Cowboys latest loss has to be blamed on a complete and systematic failure of the Cowboys, that starts at the top with the cancerous Jones. Clearly he has no idea what he's doing and that trickles down to the rest of the organization. While Sean Payton will be leading the Saints to victory, Garrett will continue to lead the Cowboys to mediocrity. What more do you need to know than Garrett is 21-19 as head coach?

The feel good stories of the year include Chuck Pagano as Colts head coach and Adrian Petersen and the 2,097 yards he rushed for. Two very gutty performances.

With the Cowboys and Bucs eliminated from playoff consideration, that leaves me only San Francisco as one of my teams in the playoffs. I'll also be following, although I don't know if I'll be cheering, for the Seahawks and the Broncos. One team is my sister-in-law's team and the other team is my son's team.

Although I cheer for 5 MLB teams, 3 NFL teams, 1 NBA and various other teams they haven't given me much to cheer for in the playoffs of late. The last time one of my teams won a championship was in 2009 when Real Salt Lake won the MLS Championship. Also that same year the North Carolina Tar Heels won the men's national college basketball championship. Previously in 2007 the Boston Red Sox won the World Series. The time before that was the so-called" Idiots" Red Sox team in 2004. Another one of my teams to win a championship this century is the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Before that it had been a 7 year stretch, back to 1995 when Dallas won the Super Bowl.

My other teams and the last time they won a championship:
San Francisco 49ers: 1994 I wasn't even cheering for the 49ers then, but I was cheering for fellow Mormon Steve Young. If everything breaks right I could see the 49ers winning the Super Bowl this season. I'd love to have another Super Bowl that I'd care to watch.

LA Dodgers: 1988 That was the magical year of Kirk Gibson.
Atlanta Braves: 1995 That was before I became a Braves fan, I was actually cheering against them at the time.
Chicago Cubs: 1908  Sigh.
Pittsburgh Pirates: 1979 I was cheering for the Pirates that year, but not because I was a big fan. I just loved the whole "We Are Family" theme. Pittsburgh quickly went down 3-1 to the Orioles, the Pirates of Willie Stargell and Dave Parker battled back to win the World Series. That was one of the most fun World Series ever.

Honestly the Red Sox and the Dodgers are the most likely of all my MLB teams to win the next of my team's championship. (The Cowboys seem to be going backwards.) Just when do pitchers and catchers report again?

Utah Jazz: Never
Arsenal Gunners: Won the Premier League in 2003-2004, that team was nicknamed the Invincibles. They won the FA Cup in 2005.
USC Trojans last won the National Championship for the 2004 season, later that title was vacated for improprieties related to the recruitment of Reggie Bush. And never have the Trojans seemed more further away from than the national title than yesterday's debacle against Georgia Tech. Ga. Tech is a team that were destroyed by the average BYU Cougars in Atlanta earlier in the season.
North Carolina Men's basketball: 2009, 2005

Another team that needs to make some major changes are my Utah Jazz. Right now they treading water and need to dramatically improve. It's clear the team as currently constituted isn't going to win any thing. Even if they made the playoffs, they would be quickly eliminated. They insist they have a long term plan in place. I'm hoping so.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites