Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Derailed", Tonight's season finales of "Mad Men" and "Rubicon"

This is my friend's book, he's trying to draw attention to a book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" He also says "one who friends the group will get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.

Hello,

Last night I watched the frustratingly obvious "Derailed". A story based too much on coincidences and implausible logic. It's also one of those movies that seems like it's never going to end. It's a video movie at best.

Good things about this movie, it was good to see Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston in the movie. Owen is one of our best actors working now, he was spectacular in "Inside Man". He was good in this movie but it's hard to be spectacular in one of these wanna be Hitchcockian, noir films. Then it's good to see Jennifer Aniston in anything, she's one of the most gorgeous women in the world without a doubt.



Seriously Brad: Angelina over Jennifer? I just don't get it. Angelina is one of the most overrated beautiful women in the world. In the preview for her new movie "The Tourist", she's starting to look old. Also the movie looks sort of lame, is Angelina trying to play the same character in every movie lately. Similar looking movies included "Salt" and one of the worst movies of the last decade, "Wanted". Also Johnny Depp is wasted in this movie. Depp stay far away from the blockbusters and stick with your quirky characters. Yes I know he's going to be in the new "Pirates of the Caribbean" (but Keira Knightley isn't :( ). But he plays a very quirky, independent movie type character in that film.

Now in the complete opposite of "Derailed", tonight is the last night of Season 4 of "Mad Men". This show has such great stories, characters that one both loves and hates. Sometimes it's the same character you love and hate in the same episode, I'm looking at you Don Draper. There's great acting and plenty of eye candy for both men and women. January Jones I'm looking at you! Alright, alright I'll stop staring now.

Michael Ausiello of ew.com thinks that Sally Draper might try and commit suicide tonight. The way the story has been going, I can see that as a plausible storyline. All I can say is please, please no! I know the show is already filmed and can't be changed at this point. But I'd be very disappointed in this show if that's what really happens. That seems like an "ER" after jumping the shark storyline.

Also tonight is the season finale of "Rubicon", one of the smartest TV shows there is. This also may be the series finale is AMC doesn't pick it up for a second season. I love how the show has been building tension all season and that tension came to a head last week. This show will make you think. This show also has multiple great story lines, compelling characters and a very believable and very current premise.

More about the characters from Will Travers (James Badge Dale) who's at the center of the story. He's a very good and decent guy caught in a web of intrigue. Two more of my favorite characters are Truxton Spangler (Michael Christophe, why haven't we seen this actor more?) is the head of Will's agency API. He's both in charge of this intelligence agency and a much more shadowy organization that is diametrically opposed to the alleged aims of API. (Yes, I know from the way I tell it, it's clear as mud. You'll just have to watch it!!!!) The third amazing character is Kale Ingram (Arliss Howard). He's sort of in the middle of the two previous characters. He's trying to help Will anyway he can and he's a good guy to know when you kill someone in your apartment in self defense. But I'm not entirely sure of his motives. He's a very nebulous character.

Will's in charge of a bunch of quirky analysts who all bring their own pathos and humor to their roles. This is just a great, great show. Thanks to Comcast On Demand that I was able to catch up on this series after missing the first few episodes.

I can't wait until their six part "Walking Dead" trilogy that's debuting on Halloween. Other than that be the same day as my youngest son's birthday, finally something good on Halloween.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites