Saturday, October 16, 2010

"The Social Network", "Wilderness"

This is my friend's book, he's trying to draw attention to a book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" Michael also says, "no one who friends the group will get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.


Hello,

I went and saw "The Social Network" this afternoon and after all the smoke, hype and mirrors this movie comes down to a modern retelling of "The Great Gatsby". Except in this version Jay Gatsby goes by the name of Mark Zuckerberg and Daisy Buchanan is Erica.

I thought I wasn't the first one to make this conclusion and I went online and confirmed that fact. Both come down in the end of the story to be about the woman who spurned them long ago, but they couldn't get the ladies out of their mind.

In "Gatsby" the book suggests that Gatsby has these lavish parties so that Daisy, the woman he lost out on, would come. In "The Social Network" the movie suggests that Zuckerburg made this company, screwed his friends all in hopes of reconnecting with Erica. (Erica by the way is played by Rooney Mara, she's currently filming "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". She plays the super hacker, Lisbeth Salander.) At the end of the movie we see Zuckerburg send a friend request to Erica and continually refreshes the page to see if she responded. Neither Gatsby or Zuckerburg end up with the woman that spurned them all those years ago. (Now I'm not saying this is the facts of the actual situation, I'm only referring to the Aaron Sorkin written, David Fincher directed movie. I do have the book on hold at the library and am planning to read it.)

That makes me wonder, does that still happen. I mean are you haunted by a woman you lost out on? Are you consciously or subconsciously still trying to get her back in your life? What lengths would you go to do that. Just examining my own life, I don't see any woman who I would go to such great lengths to bring into my life. That makes me ask two questions about myself. 1) What does that say about me? 2) Does this mean that I just haven't met that woman yet?

Also after leaving the theatre I realized that no one came off looking good in this movie. Mark Zuckerburg is selfish, a thief, a bad friend, a jerk etc. Sean Parker is a drug abuser, sleeps with underage women, is egotistical etc. (An article in the October about Sean Parker portrays a much different picture.) The Winklevosses (or as Zuckerburg in the movie calls them the Winklevi) are weak, use their connections illicitly, are indecisive etc. Even Larry Summers, Harvard President, looks like an egotistical jerk.

Miscellaneous: I also enjoyed the irony of seeing a movie titled "The Social Network" by myself. I enjoyed the Trent Reznor co-written score.

I watched the first 3 episodes of "Blue Bloods" last night. Bill Simmons, The Sports Guy, gave the show thumbs up. I would have to disagree with him. It's okay, it's a nice pleasant show with a good cast. However after watching those episodes, I give it the same verdict that I give to the new "Hawaii Five-0". That is it's a pleasant show and if you have nothing better to do, you could do a lot worse than watch that show. However if you miss that show, no big loss. Both shows have incredibly gorgeous women in them, but "Hawaii Five-0" has a much better sense-of-humor. While watching "Blue Bloods" last night, the Joker's "Why so serious" kept on coming to mind. "Blue Bloods" you are buried in a horrible time slot, lighten up a bit.

Bridget Moynahan is the gorgeous woman in "Blue Bloods":



She looks good at the picture at the top of this blog, however I like the above picture better. I like the innocent look. In "Blue Bloods" I noticed that all the woman have to have at least one button down on their shirt.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites