Wednesday, October 27, 2010

John Mayer, What the hell?, Boise State, Top 50 artists continued

This is my friend's book, he's trying to draw attention to a book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" He also says "one who friends the group will get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.

Hello,

On Taylor Swift's new CD "Speak Now" purportedly the following song is about John Mayer. It's a very angry song.



Now their relationship, whatever that was is over, and she's singing about it. She's not a big fan of him any longer. She sings, "Don't you think I was too young to be messed with, the girl with the dress cried the whole way home." Here's my question, what do women see in John Mayer? He's been with all these beautiful, amazing women but from my perspective he's sort of a jerk.

I asked a girl I worked with about Mayer's appeal. She said (paraphrasing) "he's tall, has an amazing voice and he's a jerk". She continued "he's fun for a little while, but when a girl is ready to settle down she'll find a nice guy". That just confounds me even more about women.

Also if you are trying to decide whether to buy the new Taylor Swift CD or the new Sugarland CD, I'd say that the Sugarland CD is the one to buy. Nothing wrong with Taylor Swift as a singer, but she's just not the singer that Jennifer Nettles is.

Boise State won again last night in a strange Tuesday night game. That's a wierd day to play a game, but I love Tuesday night football. Anyway BSU beat La. Tech 49-20. Kellen Moore had another quietly consistent game. He completed 20 of 29 passes for 299 yards. He also threw for 2 TD's, 1 interception and caught a pass for a receiving touchdown. BSU and their occasional trick plays will always keep teams on their toes. BSU running back Doug Martin ran the ball 21 times for 150 yards.

Although they won by 29 points, it probably wasn't enough "style points" for the lame BCS. I like the fact that BSU coach Chris Peterson doesn't run up the score on opponents though. I'm sure if the #1 and #2 teams lose, the BCS will still find some way to keep the Broncos at #3. I hate the BCS. I love that the big boys have to design a system that protects them. Oh yeah, that's the American way. The big boys being the 6 so-called power conferences. I just hope the greed and stupidity of the big boys doesn't ruin college football. Of course a playoff would take care of a lot of these problems, but the big boys wouldn't make as much money that way. And as with any corporate America system it's a lot more about money than the product.

Also the Miami Heat's big 3 debuted last night. Not only did James, Wade, Bosh and the Heat lose, but they only scored 30 points in the first half. From the way they've played so far I don't think they are going to win the NBA title this year. They have too much bad karma to win. Yes I realize it's only 1 game, but they've had several injuries and an eventful preseason. I'd prefer to see them win it over the Lakers though. I'm tired of hearing about the Lakers and Kobe Bryant.

Last night I watched another good episode of "No Ordinary Family". I love the stories. Some stories only run 1 or 2 episodes but they are always resolved logically. Some stories stretch over several episodes. There's a good mix of humorous and serious situations. It's just a good show. It's kept my interest since the first episode. Not every show is like that though, I've given up on "The Event" and "Undercovers". The first because of the stupid story line and how it insults my intelligence. The second show, "Undercovers", there just isn't enough to make it must watch TV for me.

themusicaddict's Top 50 continued

45) Sarah Brightman (She's down 13 from my the first Top, I have 68 of her songs on my iTunes.) I saw her in concert and unfortunately she wasn't as good as I expected. She has had plenty of Broadway experience so I was hoping for more. However she picks good songs and has one of the most amazing voices ever.





That's an amazing song but she also is on this list because of the note that she holds. See above. Check out the note starting at 3:24 throughout the rest of the song. Wow that's just phenomenal. She's amazing. Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the part she plays in "Phantom" with her in mind. I also like this live rock version.



The above is just another one of her amazing songs. As you've probably noticed, some bands I only have one video for. Whereas other artists I have two or three songs for. The ones I have more videos for, I feel are under appreciated and I'm trying to get the word out. What a beautiful voice.

44) Sugarland: They are the third debut on this list, I have 29 of their songs on my iTunes. I've never seen them in concert, but I would love to. Although the last time they visited Salt Lake City, they only played for about 75 minutes. That's not a long enough concert for people's hard earned money. I'd love to hear Jennifer Nettles sing live though. The best voice I've ever heard live in concert so far is Wynonna Judd. Her voice is so amazing. Yes amazing voices go a long ways in determining who I like.

Any thing that's about that amazing voice, it must include this song, "Stay":



I also absolutely love this song, "Baby Girl":



43) Whitesnake: They are up 1 notch and I have 35 of their songs on my iTunes. I'm glad I investigated that as I found about 15 CD's that I didn't have imported. I also want to add their live double CD set "Standing In The Shadow of the Blues" to my collection. Someday! I saw them in concert back in the day and they were okay. They are still on the list because of that amazing live CD, "Live In the Shadow of the Blues". David Coverdale also has an amazing voice, and it has held up after all these years.

Ok this could be called Led Zeppelin lite, but still an amazing song and an amazing voice:



This one is a little off the beaten path, "Crying In The Rain":



42) Blondie: They are down 1 spot and I have 18 of their songs on my iTunes. This was my favorite band growing up. My other two favorite bands growing up were Cheap Trick and ELO. neither are on my Top 50. I might have had just a little bit of a crush on Debbie Harry back in the day. I don't think Blondie got enough respect for how good or influential of a band they were. They were the first band that had a hit with rapping in it in "Rapture". I'll forgive them for that, they didn't know what they were doing.



Here's another one, "The Tide Is High":



"Atomic":



"One Way Or Another":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites