Friday, October 29, 2010

Top 50 continued, Robert Plant and Phoenix

This is my friend's book, he's drawing attention to a book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" He also says "one who friends the group will get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.

Hello,

If you are a big Led Zeppelin fan like myself, you are interested in the work of its former members. Well Robert Plant recently released a CD named after an his old pre Led Zeppelin band "Band of Joy". Quick review: You can skip this CD, it sucks. It's something I never expected to say about Plant's music. I also checked out Phoenix, who Rolling Stone has a big article about in their newest issue. They are okay and have a very 70's vibe to them. I listened to several of their songs and their songs kept on reminding me of a certain band. It took me several songs to make me realize they sound a lot like Styx.

Although I have watched "American Idol" for many years I just realized that none of their contestants are in my new Top 50. If it would be anybody it would be Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and maybe someday Crystal Bowersox. Other potential Top 50 artists, both Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson could possibly be in my Top 50 someday. Of course Hudson would have to make more and better music.

Definitely who'll never be in my Top 50: Adam Lamebert, Kris Allen or Lee DeWyze. I'm waiting for DeWyze's CD to be released and to bomb worse than Kris Allen's first CD. It's appropriate it's coming out around Thanksgiving, because it's going to have the same effect as tryptophan. I like Lee DeWyze, I just don't think he's the type of person who will be a superstar. He has a great voice, but no charisma or stage presence. Maybe there's a reason why he was working in a paint store.

Here we go, more of my Top 50:

38) Alanis Morrissette: She's down two notches from my first Top 50 list. I have 93 of her songs on my iTunes. The mother-to-be has had many great songs, although she gets most of the credit for "Jagged Little Pill". I've seen her in concert twice. The first time when "JLP" had just come out and then later when she was a more established star. I'm going to bypass some of her more obvious songs.



Okay some of the lyrics for the following songs are stupid, but I love this song.



One of the lesser known, but just as good as her more famous songs, from "Jagged Little Pill":



37) Billy Joel: He's the same on this list as last time and I have 128 of his songs on my iTunes. I've seen him in concert four or five times over the years and he's a great performer. His band rocks and he has a very good personality. I saw him in concert when "Pressure" was his new song and just a couple of years ago. I hope that someday he can settle down and find himself a good woman. I also apologize for the quality of most of the Billy Joel videos, most of his youtube videos are shockingly bad.



The following video is making me wish I could go see Billy Joel in concert tonight. Honestly there are just so many great Billy Joel songs, I could fill up several blogs with all of his great songs.



The 70's strike on one of Billy Joel's best ballads, "Honesty".



Two more:





36) Jimi Hendrix, the Seattle rock legend. He has moved up 3 spots on my Top 50 and I have 21 of his songs on my iTunes. He died while I was still a wee lad, but obviously he had a big influence. His amazing music is still rocking the world. Again these videos are less than desirable. They don't capture the power of his music.



"Crosstown Traffic":



He has many classic rock songs, but this is one of his most beautiful songs:



35) Duran Duran: They are down 5 notches from my first Top 50 and I have 43 of their songs on my iTunes. I remember them during their 80's hey day, truly one of the first MTV superstar bands. I also remember them during their 90's rebound. I saw them in concert during their 90's rebound and they were pretty good. They had Terrance Trent D'arby open for them. It was definitely a night of nostalgia.

This is one of my favorite of their songs:



I have this one on my blog if only for the unintentional comedic value:



Now clean your minds out with the real version which you must turn it up as loud as you can:



Now back to Duran Duran and one of the sexiest videos ever: "Hungry Like The Wolf". Everything about this song/video is amazing. It makes me miss MTV back when they showed videos and were culturally relevant.





Here's another Duran Duran classic:



Upcoming band hints: a band from Wisconsin (really?), a band that features a brother and sister or are they a divorced couple?, a band with an amazing singer that does not like George Bush (that could probably be several bands) and a "baldie" as she calls herself.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites