Tuesday, October 26, 2010

NBA starts tonight, Boise State on ESPN2, Top 50 46-50

This is my friend's book, he's trying to draw attention to a book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" He also says "one who friends the group will get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.

Hello,

Boise State will be playing high scoring La. Tech tonight in Boise. The game will be on ESPN2. I know tonight is the beginning of the NBA season, but the NBA is the league where the regular season matters little. In college football, every game matters. That's one of the things that makes it the most entertaining of all sports. College football is at least 10 times more exciting than the NFL.

This is Pat Forde's column, he writes a weekly college football article for espn.go.com. He's been on Boise State's bus all season. In this week's dispatch he imagines a BCS nightmare scenario that would leave TCU, Utah and BSU as the last three unbeatens. I would love that. Read his always entertainment column here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5727799

As I previously wrote the NBA kicks off with 3 games tonight of varying interest. 1) Miami-Boston: This is the debut of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade for their first season together on the Heat. Also the Shaq experiment begins in Boston. I'm predicting that will end badly like the last few places he played. 2) Phoenix vs. Portland, two mid-conference playoff teams. In the off season Portland signed Wesley Matthews for over $30 million. That's a deal that Bill Simmons calls one of the worst off season deals. 3) Houston and the injury plagued Yao Ming visiting the two time defending champs Lakers. (I have a hard time writing that as I hate the Lakers.) Ming for someone being so big, he's really soft and fragile. He'll only be able to play every other game due to his injury issues.

The only player more fragile is the overrated Carlos Boozer. He currently will miss about 6 to 8 more weeks after he "tripped at home". Seriously how many times have you tripped at home and not seriously injured yourself? Thank goodness he no longer plays for the Jazz, or should I say no longer sits on the bench injured for the Jazz. He's the Tony Romo of the NBA. He has pretty stats, but no fans of their team want the ball in his hands in crunch time. It's not a coincedence neither has won a title in their respective sport.

The Jazz start play on the road Wednesday at Denver, who features the overrated Carmelo Anthony. The Jazz return home to play Phoenix on Wednesday, a team that's about as good as the Jazz. Next the Jazz go on the road to play the tough Oklahoma City team on Halloween. Fill in your scary headline here. That will be a very tough game for the Jazz. I just wish them winning all 8 games in the preseason actually meant something for the regular season. Go Jazz!

Quick review, I listened to Taylor Swift's new CD "Speak Now" twice yesterday. I'd give it about a B. At 14 songs it has two or three too many songs on it, those extra songs water down the CD a bit. There are several good songs on this CD, it's at least worth a listen.

Today's drive music is the Neil Young CD, "Sleeps With Angels", just an amazing CD. This CD isn't for everyone, but if you are a Neil Young fan you need to pick it up. Neil Young will be coming later in the Top 50. I would have at least one of his songs on this blog, but he doesn't have many on youtube.com. He must have his lawyers busy at work.

Another amazing CD is Lauryn Hill's "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill". She won't be later in this Top 50 as her work has been spotty to say the least. However this CD is without a doubt amazing. Here's a couple of songs:



I think anyone that has kids will appreciate the following song:



Here we go with the themusicaddict's Top 50 artists with tiebreakers and emphasis being who would I rather see in concert. See my first blog from yesterday for artists that dropped out and bands that almost made this top 50.

50) Three Days Grace. They are one of the 9 debuts on this list. (16 songs on my iTunes.) They are powered into the top 50 by opening for Nickelback last week in Salt Lake City. While their live performance is a bit off, they still have several amazing songs. I look forward to this band maturing and getting better and their concerts will be better. I think they are close to headliner status. They are certainly more deserving of that than the vastly overrated Nickleback.



49) Whitney Houston, down 22 spots. (70 songs on my iTunes.) Marrying Bobby Brown won't help you and disappearing from the scene for long stretches of time are not good career moves. I saw her in concert back in the day and she was less than amazing. As long as I make a Top 50, she will probably always be on it. Quite simply she has the best voice of my generation (sorry Mariah) and several amazing songs.



48) Johnny Cash, down 8 spots. (104 songs on my iTunes.) I wasn't able to see Johnny Cash when he was alive. It also took me until my mid-30's to truly appreciate him for the artist he is. Cash is an acquired taste. Most people probably know "Ring of Fire" and "A Boy Named Sue", but he has several lesser known songs that are just as good. Here's a youtube video for "A Boy Named Sue" and then one of his lesser known, but just as good, songs.





47) Counting Crows (the second debut). I have 42 of their songs on my iTunes. I'm not sure how they weren't on my original Top 50. Many great songs, a charismatic singer and very smart lyrics. Here's their best song by a long ways, this is a Top 500 song.



46) Bob Seger (Down 1). He and the Silver Bullet Band have 34 songs on my iTunes. His touring days are past him. He went on tour about 5 years ago, but didn't come anywhere near Utah. He's best probably best known for "Night Moves". But my favorite song of Seger's is the following:



Just a fyi, live Bob Seger song's on youtube are pretty low quality. I love the following song:



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites