Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Go Detroit Red Wings!, "The Art of Racing In The Rain", Under appreciated songs.

Hello,

I only have a certain amount of time today. I could finish up last week's "American Idol" blog. However I decided to write about sports instead.

I'm not a hockey hater, but I've never been a big fan either. I've previously written about how I started cheering for the Red Wings. I keep an eye on them during the regular season, then really started paying attention once the playoffs started. I'm not sure how it happened but I've completely gotten into the Red Wings-Sharks series. I've actually watched some of the series and have enjoyed it. Other than the Olympics I usually don't watch hockey. But I love this tough, hard nosed Red Wings team. Even though they went down 3-0 in this series they have never given up. Jimmy Howard made some amazing saves Sunday night, that's the main reason why there is even a game 6. Unfortunately tonight's game starts at 6:00 EST. That means that if I'm lucky I can hopefully catch the third period. Go Red Wings!

But as for other NHL news, I'm only vaguely aware of the rest of the NHL playoffs. About all I know is that in the Western Conference Finals Detroit will beat Vancouver. (A hope, not a prediction.) I also know that the Red Wings-Sharks series is still the only second round series still going on.

NBA news: Again the NBA playoffs are just too long. I've had a hard time caring what's going on. Although Oklahoma City, my playoff team, is doing well I just don't have the desire to follow along too closely. I know that the Thunder are tied with Memphis 2-2 in their series and that Game 5 is Wednesday. I know the NBA having so many and such long playoff series is all about money. The NBA product would be so much better with less games. Then the NBA wouldn't be as lucrative, but it would be a better product. Many times less is more. Sadly I know that money is going to win out. I'm just waiting for the NBA to add more teams or go to the best-of-nine series.

The other three NBA series that are still going honestly don't interest me. I'm still laughing that the Lakers were swept out of the series. Especially that they were swept out by the usual playoff choking Mavericks. Sarcasm alert: Also I loved that Andrew Bynum manned up and took out J.J. Berea. Wow, Andrew I'm really impressed. He would have preferred to fight Spud Webb, but he's no longer in the league. Also can Ron Artest please not be allowed to play for any NBA team next year. Also Shaq it's time to retire. Not at the end of the season, which could be soon anyway, but now. He looks old and all of the years of not taking care of himself has really caught up with him.

Things are lining up for Oklahoma City. The Thunder can beat the Mavericks. I'm not saying they will, but they could. Then the Eastern Conference teams seem to be beating the crap out of each other. That might be enough of an opening for Oklahoma City to win a NBA title for the Thunder but also for all small market teams.

Also I've seen both "Fast Five" and "Thor", both were better than I expected. Although me going in with low expectations for both didn't hurt. The previews especially for "Thor" were awful. They don't represent the movie at all. I also just want to say that the slow mo running by Natalie Portman was incredibly ridiculous, why was that even in the movie? What was the point anyway? The Frost Giants are hardly shown in the previews. Why hide such literally cool villains? The movie also contains also some clever plot twists. Overall "Thor" is a half-decent movie.

However of the two I think "Fast Five" is a better movie. I'm wondering why do movie studios even have Vin Diesel try to act? He's terrible, his acting style is wooden. I loved the intimate scenes he had, they were completely unbelievable. With that wooden demeanor he wouldn't get with any ladies. I understand the appeal of Diesel, but the less "acting" he has to do the better. Let him drive, let him fight but don't let him act! Then I love Diesel's recent comments about how "Fast Five" may be nominated for Oscars? If there was an Oscar for coolness or bad acting, then maybe.

This is why I love book clubs: I just barely finished reading Garth Stein's "The Art of Racing In The Rain". The only reason I've heard of this book is because it's a book club selection. The story follows the like of the Swift family and their dog Enzo. Enzo in fact is the narrator of the story. An idea that's a little outside of the box, but genius. Stein is an amazing writer.

We follow the Swift family from when Enzo was a young puppy to the day he dies. We also fall in love with his family. Dad Denny is a race car driver, Mom Eve is a woman afraid of hospitals battling an unknown ailment and their daughter Zoe. There are many twists and turns, as you would expect in a book where one of the main characters is a race car driver. It's a great story. I don't want to give away very much, but the two deaths that happen in the book are written about with much poignancy.

The way some of the things resolve themselves could be thought of as a bit corny. But for me I don't care. I just enjoyed reading another great novel, reminding me once again why I love to read so much. I give this book 5 stars and I strongly recommend anyone to read this book. I can't wait until tomorrow night's book club.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites