Friday, May 13, 2011

Divorce/ Break-Up/ Wistful songs

Hello,

A good way for me to work through things is with music. Those who know me know I have music playing nearly all the time. That includes at home, at work, exercising, while driving and nearly everywhere else. So music has helped me through my divorce and the fall out. The fall out is still continuing. Divorce has really battered me. I've decided to go back to see my counselor to help me work through post divorce issues. Hopefully she can help me make good relationship choices going forward. So anyway here is some of the songs that have captured my mood since the divorce or have helped me through things.

I realize I've featured a lot of these videos/songs before but I'm including them again because of how they've helped me.

This is an absolute amazing song, Surfjan Steven's "Casimir Pulaski Day":



I'm not sure I completely understand the above song, to help you and I here are the lyrics:

Goldenrod and the 4H stone
The things I brought you when I found out
You had cancer of the bone

Your father cried on the telephone
And he drove his car into the Navy yard
Just to prove that he was sorry

In the morning, through the window shade
When the light pressed up against your shoulderblade
I could see what you were reading

All the glory that the Lord has made
And the complications you could do without
When I kissed you on the mouth

Tuesday night at the Bible study
We lift our hands and pray over your body
But nothing ever happens

I remember at Michael's house
In the living room when you kissed my neck
And I almost touched your blouse

In the morning at the top of the stairs
When your father found out what we did that night
And you told me you were scared

All the glory when you ran outside
With your shirt tucked in and your shoes untied
And you told me not to follow you

Sunday night when I cleaned the house
I found the card where you wrote it out
With the pictures of you mother

On the floor at the great divide
With my shirt tucked in and my shoes untied
I am crying in the bathroom

In the morning when you finally go
And the nurse runs in with her head hung low
And the cardinal hits the window

In the morning in the winter shade
On the first of March, on the holiday
I thought I saw you breathing

All the glory that the Lord has made
And the complications when I see His face
In the morning in the window

All the glory when He took our place
But He took my shoulders and He shook my face
And He takes and He takes and He takes

Just for fun another song from that amazing Stevens CD "Come On Feel The Illinoise", this is "Chicago":



James Durbin is never going to have a song this good. People comparing Durbin and Daughtry, please! What an insult to Daughtry! This is one of the most helpful songs in dealing with the end of relationship "Over You":



One of the most bitter and cathartic divorce songs ever. This is Sinead O'Connor's "The Last Day of Our Acquaintance". This is bitter towards an ex, but also divorce attorneys. The ones who benefit most from divorce is divorce attorneys. In my experience, they suck. This is such a powerful song.



Dead Rock West's "Highway One", this is a pretty weak version of a very cool song. This is the only video I could find.



A couple of songs by Don Henley. It's obvious he's had some painful break-ups and has had to deal with loathsome divorce lawyers.



"Lawyers dwell on small details". Oh boy isn't that the truth. "The End of the Innocence":



Green Day's "Whatshername":



Date a lot and be careful who you marry. Divorce is the most hellacious experience I've been through. Then everything is compounded when you have kids. It's worst for your kids in most cases. My parents divorced when I was in my late teens. That was devastating, but in my case my divorce was much more devastating.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites