Saturday, May 21, 2011

"Overton Window", "HF-0" finale, U2 Sings Eloquently about the loss of love



Hello,

Yesterday I finished Glenn Beck's "The Overton Window". This book is a very fast read and I read it in just a few days. I will admit that although Beck and I are the same religion I despise the man. I think most of the pundits like him are worthless, thankfully though he's a few steps up from the arrogant Rush.

However I saw this book at the library and said what the heck. I picked it up and read through it very quickly. I was surprised that I liked it so much, it's very well written. The story scared the crap out of me as well. I have no doubt there's a group of people headed by an Arthur Gardner type person trying to rule the world. How big they are or are not I have no idea. I thought it was interesting that Beck left the ending of the book a bit vague. What I'm saying is I think there's going to be a sequel. When it comes out I plan on reading that too.

A sign of a good fiction writer is that a reader cares for the characters. I quite like both Molly and Noah. I think Noah's name is a hint of what kind of character he is. I think Beck very intentionally gave him that name. It's irrelevant what your political beliefs this is a very good book. The truth should rule over all political affiliations.

I finally saw the final two episodes of Season 1 of "Hawaii Five-0" last night. I love the characters in the show. I enjoy the Danno-Steve dynamic. I love the characters of Chin and Kono. Kono, the impossibly gorgeous Grace Park. I enjoy that Wo Fat has evaded them so far. That being said this show isn't a story telling dynamo. A lot of time the stories leave a lot to be desired. I absolutely love how many chases there are in this show. It's like the writers don't have any more ideas, so they say let's put a chase here. There seems to be two or three chases each show. Sometimes one chase turns into multiple chases. The season finale was no exception.

I realized that the filming of the show happened before the producers knew if the show was going to be renewed for a second year. I think the producers wanted to have a lot of cliff hangers to increase the chances of the show being renewed for a second season. But these cliffhangers don't pack much suspense. 1) Steve McGarrett being arrested for killing the Governor. We all know that he didn't do it and I hope that's a story line that gets wrapped up pretty soon. 2) Now the cliffhanger involving Kono Kalakaua actually will have a little suspense. Because she really did steal the money that she's being accused of. 3) Wasn't that very quick how Chin rejoined the Hawaii Police Department? Was it believable? No! I think he joined the department to infiltrate it for the Hawaii Five-0 department. 4) I don't know anything about the contract negotiations for Scott Caan. So Danno may be moving back to New Jersey to be with Rachel and Grace. However I don't buy it, what would this show be without Danno? Either Danno and Rachel are going to break up or Rachel and Grace will be coming back to Hawaii to live permanently.

Here's the lovely Grace Park. I do wonder though, would it hurt her to eat a cheeseburger every once-in-a-while?



I love the sense-of-humor of this show. Of the recurring characters my favorite character is mr. shaved ice. That would be Taylor Wily as Kamekona, proprietor of Waiola Shave Ice and confidential informant. He always brings a quirky humor and a change of pace to this show. I actually wish he was used more bra!

Due to U2 being in town on Tuesday and my iPod I realized how many great songs U2 has about the downside of love. For under appreciated songs of the day, I'll be including a few of their videos. Ironically U2 is playing on May 24th, which is the one year anniversary of my divorce. I'll be thinking a lot about my divorce that day, assuming the world is still here of course. I don't know if I'd say I'll be celebrating the anniversary though. We weren't very compatible in being married. However we did have 4 wonderful children, so it wasn't all bad. Although I would say if you are in an unsatisfactory marriage, there's no reason to hold on to it. That's no good for anyone. I've enjoyed the personal rebirth that has come with the explosion of an unhappy marriage. Anyway let's see what U2 has to say about the perils of love.

This is the song that got me thinking about the end of love. This is "Until The End Of The World":



This is "One", one of the most poignant songs about loss of love. Below the video I've included the lyrics.



Is it getting better
Or do you feel the same
Will it make it easier on you now
You got someone to blame
You say...

One love
One life
When it's one need
In the night
One love
We get to share it
Leaves you baby if you
Don't care for it

Did I disappoint you
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth
You act like you never had love
And you want me to go without
Well it's...

Too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light
We're one, but we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other
One...

Have you come here for forgiveness
Have you come to raise the dead
Have you come here to play Jesus
To the lepers in your head

Did I ask too much
More than a lot
You gave me nothing
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other

One...life

One

These lyrics hit very close to home:

You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

This song also has some amazing lyrics, this is "With or Without You":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites