Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Great Songs, NFL Greed Out continues, R.I.P. Harmon Killebrew

Hello,

"Love and Forgiveness"- Miley Cyrus



Neil Diamond's amazing and beautiful "Hello Again".



I love Neil's voice on this great song, "Forever In Blue Jeans".



One of the best songs about divorce and loss ever, the lyrics hit a bit too close to home:



The lyrics:

Here we are
What is left of a husband and a wife four good kids
Who have a way of gettin on with their lives
I'm not old but I'm getting a whole lot older every day
It's too late to keep from goin' crazy
I got to get away

The reasons that I can't stay don't have a thing to do with being in love
And I understand that lovin a man shouldn't have to be this rough
You ain't the only one who feels like this world left you far behind
I don't know why you gotta be angry all the time

Our boys are strong the spittin image of you when you were young
I hope someday they can see past what you have become
And I remember every time I said I'd never leave
But what I can't live with is memories of the way you used to be

The reasons that I can't stay don't have a thing to do with being in love
And I understand that lovin a man shouldn't have to be this rough
You ain't the only one who feels like this world left you far behind
I don't know why you gotta be angry all the time

Twenty years have came and went since I walked out of your door
I never quite made it back to the one I was before
And God it hurts me to think of you
For the light in your eyes was gone
Sometimes I don't know why this old world can't leave well enough alone

The reasons that I can't stay don't have a thing to do with being in love
And I understand that lovin a man shouldn't have to be this rough
You ain't the only one Who feels like this world left you far behind
I don't know why you gotta be Angry All The Time

I don't know why you gotta be Angry All The Time

As near as I can tell today is Day 68 of the NFL's Greed Out. Following the latest legal wrangling, it appears the NFL owners have the upper hand. The next hearing is scheduled for June 3rd. This hearing will be at the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. This is the same court that ruled a permanent stay of the owner's lockout. Both sides returned to court ordered mediation this morning. That mediation ended early Tuesday afternoon with the NFL saying progress has been made. The next negotiating sessions are set for June 7th. However it's unlikely for the owners to give any ground in negotiations as they appear to have the upper hand in legal issues now. ESPN's Sal Palontino predicts that the owners will win the June 3rd court ruling as well. (Thanks to espn.com.)

Where does that leave us? Training camps are suppose to open in little more than two months, but the longer this nonsense goes on the less likely that will happen. The NFL has built flexibility into the season schedule in case there are games lost. There's flexibility for up to 3 weeks to be lost but still to play a full season. Even if we weren't waiting on the courts, it seems the two sides aren't even close to making a deal. It's looking highly likely that games will be lost. Also the longer this goes on the more it looks like the players will give in. Please don't try to make me sad that they might have to get a real job though!

I still hope games are lost. I hate the greed of millionaires vs. billionaires. Both sides are in some serious need of humbling. If the NFL missed a season or two I think both the players and owners would return for more respect for the fan. I know that football is a brutal sport that usually leaves life long scars. However they could work many years in a mine and face all the adversity that comes with that job. NFL players should be grateful for the jobs they have.

Harmon Killebrew died this morning at the age of 74. Killebrew was known most for his prodigious blasts. But it's been long known that he's one of the classiest people in sports. Not only that but he's one of the most well known Mormon athletes. It seems near the end of his life he fell away from the church some. That's too bad, but I don't think he has anything to worry about in terms of salvation.

Finally in a story that is amazingly sad and ongoing, Bryan Stow is being moved to a San Francisco hospital. Stow is the San Francisco Giants fan who was beaten following a Dodgers-Giants game in LA. Stow is in critical condition with brain injuries. He was beaten by two drunken Dodgers fans.

There's no idea whether Stow will have a full or partial recovery or how long the recovery will take.

As a Dodger's fan this story makes me very sad. Again I think this will be one of the lasting legacies of the disastrous McCourt ownership. There wasn't enough security where Stow was beaten. I wonder if the money that was suppose to go to enhanced security instead went to fund Frank McCourt's extravagant life. Predictably the Dodgers have beefed up their security. Too little, too late which should be the motto for McCourt's ownership. I understand that fans get worked up at a game, that's understandable. It's also fun as long as it stays at jawing, but once you start hitting then it has gone too far. Be a fan but don't be a jerk.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites